Remaking rubber parts in urethane...?

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Remaking rubber parts in urethane...?

Post by James P »

Some time ago I saw an advert in a local motorcycle magazine for this service. The advertiser offered to remake any rubber part in urethane if a sample was provided.
The trouble is, I don't remember the name of the magazine or the name of the advertiser! The only other thing I do remember (I think) was that he was located either in northern NSW or in Queensland.

Can anyone fill in the blanks? Better still, has anyone used this service? Are there any other people or firms which offer similar?

I have two chain buffers which are both pretty much unusable (hardened and cracked) and are no longer available new. I have also never seen any new ones advertised for sale anywhere. I could easily bodge something up, but it wouldn't be as neat as the proper part.

Thanks & regards,
James
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Remaking rubber parts in urethane...?

Post by pkay »

The only thing to be aware of is that urethane doesn't have the same give as rubber. I used to have a Triumph Dolomite Sprint where we changed all the suspension rubbers from crap rubber OEM items to urethane. Worked a treat but the new bushes did change the suppleness of the handling. Having said that where you're looking probably a good idea I'd suspect.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Re: Remaking rubber parts in urethane...?

Post by James P »

Yes - I'm aware of possible differences in properties between rubber and urethane. I would certainly hesitate in the case of suspension bushes etc., unless the remade item was proven. For the part I wish to remake, it simply protects one of the frame tubes from the chain when the rear suspension is fully compressed. Therefore, as long as it has some wear resistance, any differences between rubber and urethane are not so important.

I'm still looking for the service provider (or anyone offering similar) if anyone can help with the details.

Thanks again & regards,
James