Carby Body Cleaning.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
rdrob
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Carby Body Cleaning.

Post by rdrob »

Feel your pain on this one I was going to get mine vapour blasted but the guy here in town has just sold he's blasting machine.

So I went with the ultrasonic but we use a heavy duty industrial one at work the home ones work to a certain amount but if you know someone like a jeweller or medical lab they might be able to do them for you?

Also before I used the ultrasonic I cleaned them with Autosol metal restorer great product used it a few years ago for another job worth ordering. Here's a link below from where I got it from.

http://www.polish-up.com.au/products/au ... 250ml.html
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

I think Ultrasonic cleaners are only as good as the 'pickle' solution you use.
rdrob
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by rdrob »

Jools your right you need a good solution we get ours from below.

www.elma-ultrasonic.com.au
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

jools wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 pm But what about those of us who have more sense than money James? I mean, subcontracting a job like cleaning carbs seems (to me anyway) weird, very 21st century. Pretty limp-wristed. Is there anything about restoring a bike that gives you pride of the job well done? By you? Yourself.
Or is it just about who's got the most money to spend? Not having a go at you personally (well I s'pose I am really), but we're all seeing (in the mags) the plethora of trendy (but functionally useless) crappy little bikes that have just had bulk money thrown at them via subcontractors (who are laughing all the way to the bank), and the rich owners expecting to get back all that wasted money when they sell the things.
Well, thanks for having a go at me personally. I suppose you do all your own rebores, crank rebuilds, bead-blasting, electroplating, welding and machining then? If so, I think I know which one of us has more money.
Of course you don't buy any parts either - it must "give you pride of the job well done" to make them all yourself.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

James sorry if I sounded offensive. Don't take it all too personally. Each of us has our strengths, weaknesses and talents. And our own valid point of view.
Nowadays we're surrounded by all sorts of 'restored' machinery that is the result of deep pockets, not the result of deep effort.
It's reflected in the ridiculous prices asked for shitty little grey-porridge bikes which have been subjected to angle-grinders, brown plank seats and a complete lack of engineering nouse and aesthetic taste, being sold by people who think because they spent 10 grand on a restoration of a 600 dollar bike, they can ask 10 grand for it.

Gimme a break!!!

Yes I do plenty myself... restoration, paint, welding, simple machining. I don't have a compressor big enough for blasting, but I achieve that finish with plenty of hard elbow-grease. I do all my own paint, I do my own electroplating (zinc). I don't do rebores or crank rebuilds because the equipment required is way too expensive and the requirements very rare. The only things I 'farm out' are those engineering things that require that 'major machinery'.
Yes of course I do buy parts when I need to, who doesn't? That's a stupid statement really.

Everything I do I learned to do using an enquiring mind, application, practice, and hard work. I came from a non-engineering professional background (Designer/photographer). A hair-dresser can do this stuff!

Anyone can learn to do all all this stuff, I'm absolutely nothing special. But there are plenty of people around nowadays who are happy to do it easy via their bank account and show it off as if they'd done all the hard graft.

Some of us get a bit narked when we see these people trying to show off bikes that have damaged nothing but the owner's bank account. But that's okay I guess, it's 2017 isn't it, who expects decent down to earth values now.

Really, if you can't even clean carbs yourself... well, I'm lost for words!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Come on lads, it's all too easy to get the wrong end of the stick in these written conversations, we all have positions we start from, with our own circumstances and reasons for our approaches :-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

jools wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 pm Don't take it all too personally.
You suggested that I am limp-wristed and alluded to me being some rich wanker chequebook restorer. You specifically made a point of stating you were having a go at me personally. How was I supposed to take it?

What I found most insulting was that you expressed these opinions despite us having never met (as far as I know), meaning that you knew very little about me. Did you base your comments on intimate knowledge of any of the bikes, engines or parts I have rebuilt or restored? If so, which ones?

The original poster asked for info on vapour blasting and I responded with info on a very similar process, thinking it may be of interest to him. In asking for such info, it seemed to me that he may have wanted to go beyond just simply "cleaning" carbs, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Whatever the case, I don't think I deserved to be on the receiving end of your tactless tirade.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

The experimenting continues....

:P

About $3.50 at Woolies :wink:

Worked pretty well........

I'm happy. It didn't do a perfect job but it leaves a good finish. I'll experiment further using garnet to move stains and to see if the soda will 'close' the surface for a 'fine' finish.

The down side..........

........it sends a fine powder everywhere for 20m (I don't have a cabinet) - and I mean everywhere.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916