Hello from Melbourne

Tell us about yourself and your bike(s), car(s), boat(s) or other toys
skm3201
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Hello from Melbourne

Post by skm3201 »

Hi my name is Sean im 25 years old and have been searching for a project for awhile now.
I recently purchased 2 RG’s a 83 & 84 from a dude that had them stored away for several years.
1 runs and appears to be pretty healthy.
The other requires a top end and a pulsar coil.
I’m not to fused cause my original goal was to make 1 out of 2.
The one that currently runs has had the oil injection deleted. I’m still not to sure why.
Do the pumps fail? Why do people delete them?
I’ll keep working through it😃
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Hello from Melbourne

Post by JonW »

Welcome aboard!

I dont know exact info about the RG pumps, but over the years there was a lot of talk that pumps were the devils work and could kill your motor any second. This was BS, the pumps are really very reliable even if you didnt always make sure everything was perfectly clean they still didnt clog up as the factory knew we'd not be able to look after the bikes properly lol. These days they need cleaning (NRVs clog up etc) and a good service and setup again if worn. If this was a Yam, ie AC/LC/RZ ,I could direct you to a guy in the UK (Arrow) who can make a pump like new, but ive no idea about RG stuff, I'll ask him next time I see him if you like?
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

The RG are good little jiggers, you should have hours of fun in the shed and on the Black Spur road. Good luck, and welcome to the insanity and excitement of the 2T world.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Good to hear someone younger with genuine enthusiasm for these strokers.
RG is a smart little thing, well done getting the pair.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Yep, goodonya Sean. Wised-up kid... Go for it!
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Welcome Sean, it is good to see someone your age get the 2T bug and carry the torch after us old farts move off the scene.

Oil pumps are perfectly reliable but some folks don’t trust them for whatever reason. Any mechanical device that is 30+ years old will need some attention but once fettled, it should be fine for the foreseeable future. Arrow mentioned earlier in the thread only works on Yamaha pumps afaik, so you might need to seek advice on one of the model-specific forums for info on who can do what with them.

HTH