yamaha yl3 125 racer build

Post your Project Bike threads here.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: yamaha yl3 125 racer build

Post by gman »

nice one twinrock. As you know a spare bike whatever the condition is allways handy in a build. I am interested. hmmm, this project started out as a spares bike that i didn't really take anything from because i bought allot of new parts for the yl3 restoration. Mate if it's easy for you to go have another look and take a picture i could then make an offer. I am going to Tarree for my cousins 50th this new years eve,could bring the trailer with me and give the miss's some story about parts and cheap. Could be an issue though as there is room for 2 bikes +parts on the trailer and it's along drive. lol what parts are you chasing twinrock? i may be able to help you out as a finders fee. just had a look at your for sale listing says As100. i am not formiliar with an AS100, is it a twin cylinder?
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

bit more progress. shifter mech, engine seals, pistons and cylinder studs installed. painted the barrells, heads next. After allot of research i have chosen yz125c (1976) clutch friction plates. They are 3.5mm wider in surface area over the Rd125 plates. Also they are thinner by 1mm allowing an extra steel and friction plate making it a 5 plate assemble. I have had good results with fzr1000 friction plates in my rz 350 that are wider fibre plates over stock. hope to have the engine finnished this weekend although i will check squish once assembled and maybe adjust now or later when it's run in. I'm thinking of putting the engine in my yas1 to run it in. could be a while till the frame, electric and wheels are ready on the Yl3. Image Image
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Looking good Gman. They look like new Pistons? Where do you get re boring work done up there?
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

thanks ged. The cylinders where actually bored in melbourne. Link ported the cylinders and rebuilt the crank. He has a guy do his boring work. Apperently it was a bit of a pain being 43mm bore and only .25 over. I had one new .25 over piston that came with one of my engines, then i found another for only $50. then i found out a set of rings where very few in supply ended up with 2 set from differnt overseas sellers paying around $100. in hindsight i could have got 2nd over(.50) pistons and rings for around the same money. I have used gold coast engine reconditioners in burleigh for a bore and hone before. 4 day turn around and they did a good job.
Waiting now for condencers for the ac generator and coils. re fitted the engine into the frame to check for air boot clearance. A bit more dremmel work ad i'm now happy that i can fit 2 air boots into the frame. Just need to work out how to filter them. Either i mount 2 pods onto the end of the airboots or seal of the frame and use filter foam across the opening to the air box battery compartment.
Anyway painting the frame, swing arm and other bits next.
Image Image Image
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

g'day race fans. bit more progress on the build. Strenghened up the frame around the air inlet using a peice i cut of the rear fender. Also welded on seat brackets. Finnished painting everything that will be black. painted it jet black using 2k paint through a gravity fed gun. reasonable happy with the result and i learn't allot during the process. Also cleaned up the AC generator and installed new pionts and condencers. Now i'm just cleaning up some parts and making a list of a few parts still needed. I have the tank and seat still to paint. should be assembling soon.
Heres some photo's.ImageImageImageImage
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Coming together beautifully Gman. Your paint looks great! Congratulations.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

2k is so nice to paint with.
I'll be doing my LC soon.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

You have a YDS5 8).........whats the plans?
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Thanks for the compliments on the paint jed and hybrid, could have been better but quite good for a first go.
Yds5?? Well spotted there Ozzy. close but no cigar. The bike you spotted is a 1967 ym2 305. Identical cosmetically to the yds5e 250. The 305 has a longer stroke and bigger bore, also kick start only. The bike in question is a future long term original restoration project. i have aquired over a few years allot of the parts for a total engine recondition. The bike does run but has a crank bearing noise. i'v'e pulled a barrell of to find majour deflection in the con rod indicating worn big end bearing. rods for the 305 are as rare as rocking horse poo, hopefully i can sorce new ones or get away with just new big end bearings. also i have been searching for new mufflers or good used ones that could be rechromed.
For the moment this little racer has the focus, then an engine recondition of the YR1 350 i have. After that the 305 will get stripped for restoration. I really likr the look of the ym2, big tank, left side kick start, right side chain. rare bike.
Have you seen the yds5 on ebay at present?? $3750. A fair price if the bike runs well.
heres another photo of the ym2Image
Check out this sweet ym2 cafe racer. the tank and seat are pretty much the paint job i wish to do on the 125 racer, also the indicators and clubman bars .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_rQTlgYRTI
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

gman wrote: rods for the 305 are as rare as rocking horse poo,
I think they are the same rods as the 250 including TD et al. The crank pin is in a different location on the crank to give a longer stoke.
gman wrote:... i have been searching for new mufflers or good used ones that could be rechromed.
I don't mean to be cruel but....Image
gman wrote: Have you seen the yds5 on ebay at present?? $3750. A fair price if the bike runs well.
Nope.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

""I think they are the same rods as the 250 including TD et al. The crank pin is in a different location on the crank to give a longer stoke."" (don't know how to do the quote thing) cut and paste.
I thought the same. i was informed by a seller in the Uk who has a complete Rod/pin /bearing kit for yds3, yds5, that they are not. I also asked around to some vjmc members who reccon they aren't as well. Yamaha list different part numbers for the rods. I found a thread that recconned the rod was the same just different piston pin location for longer stroke. Hmmmm. I do have a spare bottom end. i hope i can get 2 servicable rods from the 4. As for mufflers. I may as whell use the spare set of 31k cigars i have.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

This seller list the 250 -305 rod as the same.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-NOS-Y ... xyOM5RbEc6
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. It has been a while but other bikes, work, holidays and life have gotten in the way. Finnally the little racer is running. For the moment i have some spare yas1 125 mufflers installed and a simple toggle switch to supply power to the ignition. Today i installed the original footpegs and re torqued the motor and played around a little bit with the jets. I took it for a couple of k run around the block and the motor runs sweet and it changes through all gears.
I spent allot of time building this little engine and i used a different gearbox and a piece from here and a piece from there (best bits from 3 engines). So when it came time to fire it up it was fingers crossed but all is sweet and the Mikuni knock offs that i put rz pilot jets in and rased the needle seem to be pretty close to spot on. I lowered the gearing by upping 4 teeth on the rear to 43 and dropped one tooth of the front. will probably be doing 9000rpm at a hundred k's.
Still allot of work to do such as install the lights, TZ tacho, mud gaurd , grips, seat foam etc. I have purchased a new billet disc brake front hub with rotor that will be installed along with original rear hub into the alloy rims. Chambers still need to be sorted as well as alloy disc frame covers aswell as racing number on side covers and rear of seat. Some other decals need to be made for the engine covers and some other trick bits. Lastly rear sets need to be designed and made. So still lots to do but I'm stoked it's running and running well. big grin from a little machine. I thought i best give you lads an update. and i will be posting more photo's and video's as things progress.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Weyhey! Looks great!
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

BRG1200 wrote:Weyhey! Looks great!
+1 [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk