'86 250 YPVS Restore

Post your Project Bike threads here.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: '86 250 YPVS Restore

Post by Gavin »

So if D was open and not connected it could've been sucking in too much air for the mix. Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

So I find the cylinder head gasket to be leaking the most. Dropped the fluid, all over the bike and garage floor mostly, it never runs straight down and always finds some part of the frame to run off and miss the bucket. Now I'm back at the gasket in question. The gasket I'm using looks like a three ply aluminium or steel one. Is this correct and should I have used gasket sealer or does the gasket do the job on its own? Now this one is off, do I get another or is this still good to use? It's only done about 10 mins run time. Newbie questions but I guess I should've asked when building the engine. Ta
ImageImage

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Always use OEM head and base gaskets on these bikes... usually fixes gasket probs :)

you can reuse gaskets, people do, they also put sealer on em. personally if youve got an OEM one i might, but not an aftermarket.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Bugger, I was so close. This feels like snakes and ladders. I'll put an order in. Another 10 days wait. Need the paper exhaust gaskets too so I'll get those while I'm at it. Do the 350 ones fit the 250?

Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Gavin wrote:Newbie questions but I guess I should've asked when building the engine. Ta
ImageImage

Please don't hesitate to ask these questions here, the answers are as good for others (me) as for you [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

the gaskets are much cheaper in the usa if you order there from partzilla etc. is that what you mean by a 10 day wait? tho prob not 250 parts... they never had the 250s.

I never use the paper gaskets on exhausts, just the ring gasket.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Yes, ordering from the UK or US takes time and is usually in response to something that you need right away to finish a job. I'll try without the paper exhaust gasket. Where do you get OEM gaskets from other than the US. I've read on here where not to buy from but suspect my options are only Europe (UK) being a 250. The gasket I have is Forsetti? I think.I'll try some yambond and see it that seals. Now I have the pressure kit and the carbs off it's a quick test. I notice in the parts exploded diagrams that the cyl head bolts have washers listed but mine didn't come with any. Any issue here?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

japan is another good source for 250 parts, tho i did see one of the Malaysian ebay sellers with 250 head gaskets, maybe worth emailing him and picking up a couple 'off ebay'.

yes you need washers, if only to get the correct torque as per the manual.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Turns out the washers were there but stuck to the bolt heads so I didn't see them. I fitted the head back on with gasket sealer which I was reluctant to do as the Haines says don't use any sealer. Tested again with the pressure kit and the same problem exists. Think I've narrowed the leak to where the PVs join in the middle. How important is it to have a perfect seal? I ask because this means removing the motor from what is almost a finished bike.
Next I rebuilt the brake system. The rear went well but I found a blocked front hose so it's looking like I need to order some black braided hoses from the uk. That's another month delay. Hopefully I'll get this thing registered before I have to hand my licence back from old age. On a brighter note, I rode it up the street this week for the first time. Couldn't do it before without any brakes.

Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

One other comment on the brake rebuild. I fitted the two rubber seals onto the master cylinder plunger. The seal near the middle looks like it is supposed to seat into a groove cut out on the shaft. My seal was too wide and doesn't drop into the groove. Will this be an issue? Pic shows the groove while I moved the seal to one side.

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

you can get braided hoses more local if you want, costs more but will be quicker.

should be in the groove, see if you can massage it in with some lube.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

JonW wrote:you can get braided hoses more local if you want, costs more but will be quicker.
I've done this a few times, although not very recently. I went to Earl's at Silverwater and they made up hoses to my specifications while I waited. I got the "normal" braided hose with clear PVC cover, but I think Earl's offers a black or "smoked" PVC cover as an alternative. Like Jon said, it was/is a bit more expensive than mass-produced hose kits from overseas...much quicker though.

You can also get HEL brand hoses in Australia, but I haven't bought or used this brand before.

Regards,
James
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Good to know for the next one. Just ordered a 3 set for the front from the UK. Have other jobs on the bike I can be getting on with. That rubber seal for the front MC wouldn't fit unless I trim it so I left as is. Can't really test it until the new hoses arrive though.

Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

'86 250 YPVS Restore

Post by Gavin »

Well I never thought I would take this long but this bike just keeps on giving (trouble). I couldn't get the bike to idle properly and once the back brake was fitted I road tested it and also found the bike bogged down while letting the clutch out so I decided to leak test it. The results showed something not right as the pressure wouldn't hold at all. 1 to 2 seconds max. So thinking it was a crank seal I pulled the motor out and tested it again on the bench. This time I found the leak to be at the exhaust port. The plastic bung wasn't sealing. I tried tightening it a notch and several cracks appeared in the plastic so I had a mate machine me some metals bungs on his CNC. Once over that hurdle, it turns out the leak test was fine and passed no problem. Sooooo, back in with the engine and start looking at the carbs, again. This time I stripped the carbs and soda blasted them, followed by an ultrasonic clean and wash down, then blow out all the passage ways. Carbs back on, I'm thinking what else can go wrong. Well, you might ask - FFS!

Last edited by Gavin on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

'86 250 YPVS Restore

Post by Gavin »

Once everything was rebuilt and a few new items added from partzilla, I start the engine. Starts fine and I even balanced the carb slides and took a nifty video for someone else to watch. Now the engine is running I notice a "tink" sound on the RHS exhaust with each pulse from the combustion. On further inspection I see the exhaust is not sealing around the collar. I start moving it around and find some sort of coil unravelling from inside the collar. Once removed the collar no longer has enough meat to push the exhaust and copper washer into the port. After a quick Google someone has suggested a wire coat hanger can be bent to fit taking up the space needed to seal. Is this good advice or a bodgy?
ImageImage