RZ350 Hybrid

Post your Project Bike threads here.
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

RZ350 Hybrid

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Hi,

After having a blast on a RD350LC I bought new back in 1981, I thought it was time to get another RD and do it up with a couple of individual touches ie a hybrid.

After finding out the price of LCs these days and the availability of parts, I widened my view to an RZ350 which seem to be a bit more available. I eventually found an unloved and messed around example that I wouldn't feel guilty about modifying and wasn't too expensive. It was running, but only just and didn't make any nasty noises so hopefully the engine rebuild shouldn't show too many issues.

I then found some RGV front and rear suspension, wheels and brakes for a fair price and ordered an Aprilia 250 fairing from Tyga along with some CF front and rear guards. I also have a fibreglass Honda 125 race tail that works with the look I'm going for but will need to be widened to match the rear of the tank.

Since then I've cut off the rear subframe and have started building a new subframe to suit the new tail section.

I also got a 650 GSXR rear shock at 325mm long which fits snugly in the swingarm but I've now found that it moves the lower suspension pivot down and that's now fouling the JL GP style exhaust I got. I've heard that the R6 rear shock @ 300mm long fits but I'm concerned that the gas cylinder may foul the swingarm. My other option is to cut off the top shock mount and make my own at the ideal location.

Anyway, lots of ideas, lots of options ....
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Re: RZ350 Hybrid

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Cleaned up several coats of the white wheel paint and probably powdercoat paint off the wheels, polished the rims and repainted the centres.
Also cleaned up the disks, lightly honed then on the lathe and repainted the centres.

Bought and fitted a set of Bridgestone tyres so its a roller again.

phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

You can tell that I'm not a graphic artist, but here's a conceptual drawing of the look and colour scheme I'm thinking of. Tried a few different colour schemes, but conservative Yamaha colours won out, so far.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Crickey, rapid progress! :-) Looking good
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Cracking build, almost looks factory but imho the colour scheme needs some good old Yam speed blocks.

Really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Rgds
Ozhammer
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Cracking build, almost looks factory but imho the colour scheme needs some good old Yam speed blocks.

Really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Rgds
Ozhammer
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Hi,

I haven't updated for a while. Have been working on fitting the fairing a modifying the tail piece to match the frame.

I've also stripped down the motor and it will go through a complete rebuild. The head was damaged by some previous big end bearing failure and although they replaced the bearing and piston, they didn't repair the head. Consequently an aftermarket head is on its way. new piston set and rebore plus all new seals, bearings, clutch basket, power valves etc to get it back to specs.

tail mods plus seat pan and fabricated seat.

Here's a pic of the bike outside with a photoshopped colour scheme.

Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Great work Phil but I still think it would be worth considering some sort of speed block pattern within the main red part, just to add some character.

Rgds
Ozhammer
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Quick work, very impressive.
I actually quite like the original RZ in flat black too.
Will be interesting to see how your paint scheme comes our
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

phil1rowe4 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Here's a pic of the bike outside with a photoshopped colour scheme.

Very nice. :Clap:

No speed blocks!!! :moon: They are overdone and would be outdated on the style you have established. The red flash on the fairing is a little overwhelming but a 'YAMAHA' in white could break up the vastness of the red.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

To speed block or not to speed block, that is the question !
Been there and tried a few different ideas but I was trying to make something a bit more individual looking.

I tend to think the white area on the fairing and tank are too big, not the red.
Also remember that this shot is quite low and you'll be typically looking from a much higher position, so the red will tend to disappear under the bike.

It's also obvious that my colouring in skills are pretty crap, so its just a conceptual idea, not an exact example.

Just got the re-bored barrels an new pistons back from the machine shop, so will clean up any flaws in the castings and match the inlet, exhaust and transfer ports. Cases have been vapour blasted and carbs ultrasonic cleaned and soda blasted. Just waiting on some OEM engine parts before starting to rebuild the bottom end.

Here's a pic of the cleaned up inlet side.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RZ350 Hybrid

Post by Greasemeup »

Like this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Yep, that's one of the inspirations.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RZ350 Hybrid

Post by Greasemeup »

Another that's close..

I am more a fan of the candy red and pearl white (as in the other pic) over the solids. Gives more richness and depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

That looks nice too.

You guys are stretching my photo shopping and painting skills !