Internal stingers

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Internal stingers

Post by hybrid »

Since I've had new TZMike cans sitting in the garage for years for the LC, I decided I might as well fit them. And if I was going to do that, I might as well do some internal stingers while I'm at it.

I was gonna have Lozza build new pipes for this as well as the 500, but I'll just leave these now and do the 500 when the Mustang is done.

Anyhoo... I got buried in the job and forgot to take progress pics except for this one:

I cut the pipes open because I expanded the end of the stinger inside, so had to slide it through from inside out. This is obviously not a problem if you're building the pipe from scratch.
I used 1inch exhaust pipe, which gave me around a 22.2mm internal diameter (1.6mm wall)

I still need to remove the pipes again to clean them up for paint. Just put them on to hear it.

I used TYGA flanges with the holes drilled slightly bigger to fit the TZMike cans.

The verdict? It's definitely quieter. Not sure if it's because of the TZMike cans, but I doubt it. The 500 is bloody loud with 4 of them on it.

The internal stinger seems to take some of the edge off for sure, and I'll be asking Lozza to do it on the 500 whenever that happens :lol:
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Internal stingers

Post by JonW »

Interesting... What other effect is there from extending the stinger into the chamber? I assume greater back pressure but the wave is the same, but I'm no expert so have no idea if that is good or bad for performance... obviously if the pressure is not left out directly then its quieter, we can deduce that from what you say above.... hmm....
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Most of what I have read says absolutely no change in performance.
I will find out when I go for a ride. Stinger is just a pressure bleed in any pipe, even if its straight out the back. Stinger comes out the side of the belly on some pipes.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

The main difference is the sound as you take the bleed off from the highest pressure point at the end of the rear cone. In the belly pressure is much less. I usualy make a small cone to replicate the last 50mm of the baffle scone on internal stingers. You could just as easy have short stingers as length is not important.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

You make that cone on the end of the stinger inside?

I just expanded the end to make it slightly bigger.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

So I took it for a ride this afternoon to pick up some high temp paint.

It is WAY quieter than it was before. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting a quieter set of pipes without a doubt. Performance has definitely not changed. If anything, it felt a bit nippier, but thats more likely to be due to a slight change in stinger size rather than the fact it's down in the belly now. Considering it's such a hot day... it will probably be even better in colder weather.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Most of what I have read says absolutely no change in performance.
I will find out when I go for a ride. Stinger is just a pressure bleed in any pipe, even if its straight out the back. Stinger comes out the side of the belly on some pipes.
Stankflapper
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Stankflapper »

Yes, stinger length is totally irrelevant to performance. I changed my stingers with No effect to the bikes performance, the bike just ran quieter.
Original stingers:
You dont stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding:)
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Jeff is it just me or are those stingers at a uneven height? :)
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Just you or camera angle! We measured and tacked in place, then checked again