whats a kr 250 barn find worth

Topics regarding Kawasaki 2Strokes
Link
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

whats a kr 250 barn find worth

Post by Link »

hi all any idea in early kr250 prices for barn finds. i have been offered two but dont know if i want the pain of restoring one. one is very rough the other needs big end, both are in need of lots of love. Link
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: whats a kr 250 barn find worth

Post by EPApolice »

If its a 250S then its worth a lot if its just a 250 then they don't change hands for much when running. The S has the PV motor and very hard to find.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Link, I should not say this as his wife might kill me, or him, but I have a mate who collects (any old shite as far as I can tell), has a ratted out Kr250 with intentions to restore, could be interested in parts or whole as part of his overall strategy. Strategy might be overstating it. I love the guy but his collection is all over the place like a mad womans shit.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Link
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Link »

HI this is the tandem twin model with pipes both rhs one in the seat cowl. i thought the kr1 was a std side by side twin like rg rd etc. I am not real up on these but worth asking who knows what an early kr is worth. i am not sure there was a 1S in these but dont know hopefully the kawi boys can let me know. Thanks for the replies Link
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Hi
I have two 1984 KR250's. One in very good condition and one is a project (originally for parts but can't bring myself to break it as it is complete plus it came with 3 tanks and some other bits). I paid $2000 for the good one and $1000 for the other one which was probably a bit too much. For two projects I would probably pay $300-$400 ish each on the proviso they were complete and the tanks were good. Other things to be aware are that you want the original triangle indicators to be on the bike as they are very rare,
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Just to clear up any possible confusion the family is as follows
Tandem Twin KR 250, KR250S
Parallel Twin KR1, KR1S, KR1R
You most likely have a KR250 but its worth checking that its not a 250S. The two tandems are almost identical but the top end is different on the 250S.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Would you pay anymore for an S? Maybe a bit more I guess. In the end you want them to be as complete as possible. While there is a bit of interchange with other Kawasaki models there isn't a lot of parts floating around compared to other similar era bikes.
Good luck!!!
Link
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Link »

Thanks guys I think i will pass on them, it was offered as payment for a job but i think they will be more hassle than they may be worth. Thanks Link
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

A non runner I would steer clear of unless its free. If you are a collector of rare and unusual strokers then you would pay more for an S because they just are not around.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

might be a different story next year, or two
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Im not sure BRG... the KR is under appreciated for sure, but thats cos few remember them. Most of the poms who've come here recently didnt get to enjoy them when they were new and Aussies seem to have forgotten them, probably as there wasnt many sold. If you had one back in the day you might want one, but its not an easy bike to get parts or restore, and when you do they are not worth mega money it seems. There are safer bets to do the work and spend your money on unless as Pat says you want something different. Same with MVX's and other rarer tackle.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

At the risk of diverting a thread, Honda really missed the boat around the early 80's. The MVX was a weirdo, but they could have put a decent twoey twin in the VT250, uprated the running gear and had a tidy little bike on their hands. Or made the NS400 into the 500 it ought to have been. The MVX looked like a lash up.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

"market differentiation" came at a high cost