RGV250 Power valve cover drains

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
Joonya
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

RGV250 Power valve cover drains

Post by Joonya »

As I've searched the web I have found a number of people talking about installing drains in RGV250 power valve covers. The favorite place to run the drain hoses seems to be to the drive chain, in theory lubricating it. I would strongly recommend against this. The black, oily crap that builds up under the PV covers contains oil and carbon, but IT ALSO CONTAINS PETROL. This will make short work of the O-rings in an O-ring chain. Even if you aren't running an O-ring chain, putting petrol on a chain won't do it any good.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: RGV250 Power valve cover drains

Post by JonW »

I read this and right from the start wondered why anyone wouldnt just run these to a catch can, petrol on chains is not at all ideal as you say.
Joonya
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Joonya »

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious that this is a bad idea, but I've found a number of sources that say they have done this to their bike. Also, I have read that drains in the covers is not good for the power valves. Allowing air in, via the drains, tends to cause the black crap to turn to gum. This can cause the power valves to fail, so they have to be serviced more often.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

It sounds like the drain is a bodge for a leak that should be fixed? I dont have an RGV/RS so have no actual idea on these, but a leak sounds like something to be fixed :/