Setting RGV250 vj21A idle

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
Joonya
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Setting RGV250 vj21A idle

Post by Joonya »

Hey all. I'm having trouble understanding the Suzuki manual re. how to set the idle on my RGV250 vj21A (K model). I adjusted all the cables and set the carburetor slide height to 0.7mm as per manual. It idles when started. The relevant part of the manual shows a picture of somebody putting their hands right behind the exhaust outlets, but there is no text explaining what this is about. I have interpreted this to mean that I should check the exhaust pressure from each pipe, and use the idle adjusters to make the pressures roughly equal. I had to put two and a half turns into the left hand carb. adjuster to get the exhaust outlet pressure to be equal. Does this sound about right or have I misunderstood the manual? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joonya
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Setting RGV250 vj21A idle

Post by Joonya »

Problem sorted. When I thought some more about it overnight, I reasoned it might be a blocked air jet. After making sure I had good spark, I pulled the relevant carby apart. Lo and behold, the air jet was blocked. Now, with no adjustment of the idle adjuster, the exhaust pressures are roughly equal. I had also noticed that one header seemed quite a bit hotter than the other. Now they are the same temperature. Yahoo - I love it when I diagnose a problem and fix it first attempt. Makes me feel like I might actually know what I'm doing.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Good work Joonya, I wouldn’t have been able to assist but now I know more about RGV idling settings than I previously did!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Good work fella
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Joonya
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Joonya »

Thanks guys. Would it be worth doing a better write up of it and post it in two stroke tech, for the benefit of all? Or is what I've already posted enough?