KTMito 380

Topics regarding other 2Stroke bikes, Customs etc
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: KTMito 380

Post by Jeram »

It's been a while guys, I've had a self imposed forum hiatus (keyboard warrior):

As for the Mito, she's All done. Just needs the rich jetting (1/2-WOT) sorted then she's good for a trackday test

Cheeky test ride down my street:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpUW7NH8Jc
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
twinrock101
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by twinrock101 »

Im looking forward to how it goes with time spent in the saddle..have been lookin at a ktm380 motard but was concerned about vibes..as in stock form they are supposed to be quite taxing..i know you have gone to some effort to reduce this and wait eagerly for the results..great spanners man..
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Great stuff, & good effort..

I've commuted on a 380EXC, & it did it without complaint, but it seemed a waste of engine hours, (& the tyres).
The cops are also more likely to harass you, for being a 'dirt bike' on the road - than say, if you commute on an RZ 350..

With your Mito set-up, the cops will think its just a tiddler road bike, & ignore you, unless you are attracting their attention.
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

twinrock101 wrote:Im looking forward to how it goes with time spent in the saddle..have been lookin at a ktm380 motard but was concerned about vibes..as in stock form they are supposed to be quite taxing..i know you have gone to some effort to reduce this and wait eagerly for the results..great spanners man..
all in all, I used rubber engine mounts, handlebar vibration dampeners and rubber mounted rearsets. works a treat.
Only place the vibrations get through now is the fuel tank, when the tank isnt full. So ill install some 10-20mm thick neoprene as a tank pad soon and that'll just about do it.

With a steel frame 380 it should be right. My issue was because Ally frames are more rigid and therefore transmit more vibration through the chassis to the rider. Same reason why the new CR500 AF's (450 chassis) are way more vibey than the original steel framed CR's.

I recon a 380SM with handlebar dampeners and tungsten or steel bar end weights, it should feel good.
any more than that and you might look at getting the crank rebalanced to have the least vibes at your particular running RPM (ie highway speed in top gear)
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Might be worth considering converting an ex-lams KTM 390 chassis to 380 2T power..

I 've heard that those Indian built bikes have engine problems - not enough oil carried , so it gets hot, & vaporises,
S-F-A gets to the top end, where it fries on the cam, which eats itself -
- just like the Honda CB 250RS single roadbike version of the XR 250 did, decades ago..

& of course, just as back then, too many 'learners' never check, let alone change - their engine oil,
- while they flog 'em mercilessly - to keep up with the road traffic..