TDR250 on gumtree

Looking to sell a 2Stroke bike?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: TDR250 on gumtree

Post by BRG1200 »

Greasemeister, Doesn't have a reputation as sensitive that I know of, may need some setting up.

Mr Boddy
are you referring to the 1990's Brazilian model with two big googly eyes? Known as an RD350R in the UK? Over here the 4L0 is designated model Rd350R - all very confusing to an old expat like me.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Your TDR shouldn't be sensitive.
What plugs? What oil? What plug caps? What fuel?
Carbs synchronised? Oil pump adjusted? Carb idle mixture set?
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

I will pick it up from Cutgrafix tomorrow on a trailer and do a bit of fiddling, I guess it's a good way to get to know the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Cutgrafix are doing the stickers for me, seems like a good fella that Rod..

ritza
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by ritza »

i dont leave my tdr on the sidestand...it always messes about if i do....these things will run even when way off on the toonin, but when set up theyre ....fun
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

LC's were also known as RD350R (and 250) on some compliance plates, but I think Mark has a Brazillian doesnt he? If its not him then someone in Aus does, it was a UK import IIRC. I had one new back in 95 in the UK... was a fine machine. :)
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

ritza wrote:i dont leave my tdr on the sidestand...it always messes about if i do....these things will run even when way off on the toonin, but when set up theyre ....fun
Ha...Hem,

Yeah, funny story that, turns out they are so good at runnin off tune they will run for four blocks on one cylinder after the fuel hits reserve, before you change the petcock to PRI..

Insert - red face here!! :)

mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Yes, mine is a 1992 Brazillian. I bought it new in England when I was working over there.
As far as I know it is the only one in Australia.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thats supercool. I loved mine, it even went to the Nurburgring :)

There is a pic of it here in the pics somewhere....
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I ad one (in UK) wasn't well made, all sorts of silly quality problems, but it went for a long time before it needed a good going over. Bizarrely I flogged it to finance a vacuum cleaner. And Greasemeup was saying HE had a red face.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Must have been one hot cleaner, one of those 2000$ Kirby's?

BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

The RD350R wasn't in the best condition when I got it, and was worse when I sold it, bought a hot poop Dyson. Needs must when the Missus drives. To be honest I didn't lve it, went on to get a nice 31K which I really DID love.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I never had any quality problems with mine, the paintwork that people moaned about flaking and chipping was no worse than the mid to late 80s models etc. Only issue with mine was a cracked fairing lower panel, probably from a stone flying up and the fact some side bags melted onto the silencers, which i actually chipped off and then polished up fine. I had it from new in 1995 and traded it in 2001 for a new R1 for a smidge under 50% of the purchase price at the same dealer. Bloody bargain imho, wish Id kept it, the thing was mint.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Well, among the fond anecdotes with mine were wheel paint that seemed to want to get away from the road, badly made gearshift linkage that had a habit of falling off at incredibly inconvenient moments, and a petrol tank that dumped its guts down my legs one morning when kickstarting it. A bit of a choke problem but I fixed that early on so it doesn't count. Other than that it was strangely reliable if a little quirky. By the time I sold it the amount of smoke it was puking out was akin to the opening scene of Dads Army. I didn't have the knowledge or place to work on it, so gave it up. Mine was bought as a mongrel and lived on the kerbside. RD's were cheap at the time, but strangely didn't seem to come up all that often, and I really wasn't selective enough in hunting down the right model. If I were magically transported back in time I'd use the knowledge I have now and fix it up, but the guy I sold it to did just that, so it went to a good home.