Cylinder bore replating in this part of the world...

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Cylinder bore replating in this part of the world...

Post by James P »

Anyone got any experiences they'd like to share about "local" cylinder replaters? I'm about to have a set done and info would be handy. So far, I've found three possibilities:

1. Aurum Plating, Qld - When I first heard of this company several years ago, a check of the web-site suggested that it did hard-chrome plating, because it was stated that chrome-plated rings could not be used. However, the web-site has changed since then - there is not much info, but it appears this company now does Nikasil plating (even though they spell it "Nickesil" :? ).
The only reports I have on this company are from a few dirt-bike forums, where opinion is very divided - some say "good", but many say "avoid". The quoted prices (although from 2012, i.e. $225 for a 125cc cylinder) seem very reasonable.

2. Electrosil (LM Electroplating), Vic - This company does Nikasil plating. The web-site has a lot more info than Aurum, but it is mostly "fluff". Opinions are a bit more evenly divided; There are quite a few good reports, although quite a few bad ones as well. However, most of these reports are a few years old. The official Kawasaki motocross team supposedly used Electrosil for their cylinders, but that was a few years ago too. No prices are quoted, but the general opinions suggest about $400 per cylinder.

3. NZ Cylinders, NZ - This company also does Nikasil plating. I have never heard anything bad about its work and have heard a couple of good reports first-hand. The web-site is fairly informative about the company's process - no prices, but general opinions suggest about the same as Electrosil.

There are also two or three companies in England which do the same work, as well as a few in USA. At the moment, I'm leaning towards NZ Cylinders. Anyone got anything to add about any of the companies above (or any of the others around the world) - for or against?

Thanks & regards,
James
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: Cylinder bore replating in this part of the world...

Post by Greasemeup »

Not me, but interested to see the outcome..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Aurum should NOT be in business.
Electrosil are robbers, Kawasaki don't pay for their replates.
NZ is your best bet
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Powerseal in the US are the chapest and best I found. 175 to do one TZ250 cylinder.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

How was their return shipping price Pat?
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

EPApolice wrote:Powerseal in the US are the chapest and best I found. 175 to do one TZ250 cylinder.
Powerseal looks attractive Pat - current price is US$184 for the basic service. I too would be interested to know what you paid for postage (to and from) - I presume the TZ cylinder you mention was one of your later-model single ones (i.e. not early TZ monoblock twin).

Anyone else used Powerseal, or got any comments on other platers' services?

Thanks & regards,
James
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

I sent a parcel with a pair of cylinders and a piston to NZ Cylinders today. I telephoned beforehand to make sure of a few things before committing.

The quoted price was a bit less than A$400 per cylinder (I forget the exact amount), but the company offers a discount for greater quantities of identical cylinders. As such, I was quoted A$625 for my pair of KR-1 cylinders. This is just the basic charge and assumes that no work other than replating is required (no welding, porting etc.).

The parcel weighed 3140g and it cost me A$60 to send it by Express Post International (about A$7 more than "normal" airmail). Return may be a bit cheaper, as the person I spoke to at NZ Cylinders suggested that a 5kg parcel had cost $60 to send to Australia from NZ.

I'll report back when there's something to tell...

Regards,
James
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I wold have to look that up James but it was under 500 to get a pair of 3XV SP cylinders done including post .
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

I got my pair of KR-1 cylinders back - looks like a decent job. I sent one piston for reference purposes (the other piston is within 0.005mm) and asked for 0.05mm clearance.
Measurements after replating show one cylinder spot on at 0.05mm, whereas the other comes in between 0.05mm and almost 0.07mm, depending on where I measure it. I'm not complaining though - I had dreadful trouble getting consistent bore measurements until I left it alone for half an hour and then went back to it! Thus, it could easily be my dodgy measuring techniques showing up some non-existent inconsistency :? . There shouldn't have been any problems due to temperature, as I'd left the parts side-by-side on the bench (in my fairly-temperature-stable workshop) for a whole day. I'll check it again before assembly.

Cost-wise, the replating work was A$625, while the return postage was A$55. Thus, with the initial postage cost of A$60, the total cost was A$740. I did get a shock when I got the bill though, until I realised the price was in NZ$ :lol: .
Assuming the plating is durable, I'd be willing enough to use NZ Cylinders again. The only thing I wasn't that keen on was them stamping their own reference numbers on each cylinder - not what you want if you're after "factory" appearance. I daresay they could identify the cylinders in some other way if I ask especially on the next occasion.

Regards,
James