Front End Ideas 350LC

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: Front End Ideas 350LC

Post by Greasemeup »

Yes on both counts, best bet is TDR forum in UK or Yahoo Japan Auctions.

It would be difficult to choose a front IMO without considering a rear, especially if you want to buy a SET of rims. If not buying a set, how would your front, the one you have now, work with the rear if you were limited to 140 or 150 section rear tyre due to width issues with the swinger, the chain also comes into play with wider rear tyres, remember that the chain dictates tire width more than the available space between the arm sides. How wide is your front, will it be happy with a 120 section tyre on say a 3 - 3.25" rim?

Regarding rear, I know that the TDR guys have done some drastic things, including filing rubber off the tyre, on the chain side, to fit a 150 section tyre on, then there is the option of expensive offset front sprockets and spacers for rear sprockets.

All things to consider, not trying to put you off, just offering crumbs of info to prompt thought on a clear and ultimately least expensive path to spoked wheel nirvana [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

In addition, the available space for the rear wheel for FZR TDR RZ swing arms hovers around 205 - 210mm measured inside to inside of swinger. If you have this info for the RD I will add it to my publicly available Yamaha Suspension Spreadsheet. The sheet can be viewed easily enough or edited with the Google Sheets browser add on or APP.

GMU

DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Playing around at the moment with a KLR650 rear.
2.5 rim x 17, standard tire is 130/80-17 but will take a 120/90-17 quite nicely.
So at that will fit within the standard swinger.
Might have to do slight offset sprocket though....but not as much as my RGV rear end :-)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Oh boy, have we got your rear end problem sorted out:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-RDLC- ... 4628ddc45b
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

:lol:
Looks like a classy bit of work.

I think that could be cleaned up to look alright. As long as the dimensions are right.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Ha, I did see that and Jon kindly pointed me in that direction.... unfortunately it just doesnt suit the style i was looking for, but i'd be happy to buy it and swap someone for a standard swinger :-)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

There's a KR1 set of wheels and some other bits on gumtree, but the forks are missing.
I've seen LC specials in the UK with KR1 set ups, can look OK. Hard to find now though.
Luckily the KR1 was a bit of a grenade, so the running gear tends to stick around after the engines have gone west.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Cheers, it's ok though I think I've got it sorted, nice spokes front n back.
Got the rear all sorted and new bearings for the front arrived today, just waiting for some new discs to arrive for the front and should have a roller.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Can't wait to see the pics[emoji1]

DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Quick update to where this is sitting. Parts are only sitting in place but you get the idea.
Rear Wheel - Kwaka KLR650 with Disc and Calipers, swingarm filed out 2mm to accept Axle.
Front Wheel - Yam XTZ750 Hub, re-laced to new 17 Rim and new bearings to accept R6 Axle.
Front Discs - New Oversize 320mm from Germany for XTZ hubs, will fit nicely but have to look at adapter plates for Blue Spot Calipers to swing them for a bit better clearance from the spokes and new axle spacers to center the hub.
Ive made up a bracket for a digital speedo to sit offset allowing the ignition to still function, and while its rough I kinda like it on these triples over the standard clocks so far.
Seat has been chopped down and i'm currently playing around with the style, yet tobe decided, but it'll be a bit shortened over the standard.
Tank and Panels painted standard white and ready to fit, have spare decals sitting around but not sure if I should use them on this yet...have got a friend who is an awesome airbrush artist, does the really high end show cars so could get a wicked design but plain is good for now.
Attachments
photo5.JPG
photo5.JPG (35.08 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
photo6.JPG
photo6.JPG (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
photo7.JPG
photo7.JPG (44.12 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

More shots
Attachments
photo8.JPG
photo8.JPG (34.76 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
photo9.JPG
photo9.JPG (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

bloody forum lost my long reply! grr...

Anyway gist was that im liking it when I thought i wouldnt, but i like how the builder works so know it will be right etc.

I dont like the large LC tank with skinny seats and think you need a diff tank... and yes it should be custom graphics!