Do You Understand Ebay Bidding?

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Do You Understand Ebay Bidding?

Post by OzzyElsie »

Two items I'm selling have bids on at their starting price. However both show they have had two bids (but are still at the start price). If there had been two bids I would have expected an amount greater than the start price.

Does it mean the bidder has a second bid waiting 'in the back ground'.

Just wondering.

(I like Ebay (it allows me to offload shit I would otherwise 'take to the grave' and hence alleviate 'hoarders guilt' :lol: ) but there's much I don't understand :oops: )
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do You Understand Ebay Bidding?

Post by hybrid »

Maybe it counts your starting price as a "bid"... dunno. Sounds strange.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

If your starting price is say $200 and the bidder puts a bid of $250 on then it will say one bid but if that same bidder then later on raises their own max bid to say $350 then it shows up as two bids but the price is the same so you only have one bidder.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

No, they started at $20 and still at $20 despite two bids. I thought5 first bid would be $20 and the second $20.50 or $21.00 depending on the bid increment. Go figure :?
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Their bid won't increase on the item because they are the only bidder but their max amount has gone up so if some one else bids they will still the highest bidder if the amount is under the first bidders max bid.
If you start an item at $20 and I bid on your item and place a bid of $30 max bid then you have one bid at $20. If I come back tomorrow and am still the only bidder but increase my bid to $40 then you have two bids but still only $20, if I do the same the next day and raise it to $50 then you have 3 bids but still only $20 on your item. If another person bids on your item at $40 then its still me that's the highest bidder but you now have 4 bids but only 2 bidders.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

EPApolice wrote:Their bid won't increase on the item because they are the only bidder but their max amount has gone up so if some one else bids they will still the highest bidder if the amount is under the first bidders max bid.
If you start an item at $20 and I bid on your item and place a bid of $30 max bid then you have one bid at $20. If I come back tomorrow and am still the only bidder but increase my bid to $40 then you have two bids but still only $20, if I do the same the next day and raise it to $50 then you have 3 bids but still only $20 on your item. If another person bids on your item at $40 then its still me that's the highest bidder but you now have 4 bids but only 2 bidders.
Thanks for that explanation, it makes sense.

As I suspected "Does it mean the bidder has a second bid waiting 'in the back ground'".