banshee crank in air cooled rd.?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

banshee crank in air cooled rd.?

Post by twinrock »

Well I picked up a rd250 today..it had been left out in the weather for a very long time..sadstory why do pple do that.. it was complete but vry rusty..thank me now for saving its life..lol im actually not sure what year it is as it had no compliance plate I think about 74,75 on closer inspection it had 350 top end..anyway years ago I had the chance to see If an rz crank droped into rd250 cases..this was a later 250 with stator and cdi..and it did everything bolted up and fit as it should..now my question how different are the cases in the later stator 250 to my points 250..anyway..I can get my hands on a rz crank so I will end up splitting the rd cases and will be able to find out..but has anyone else had any experience in this , imagine the benifit of simply droping in a 4 mm stroker crank with cdi...
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: banshee crank in air cooled rd.?

Post by JonW »

Some LCs allow a drop in RZ crank, some dont... Personally i think its more about the crank than the cases as some aftermarket units must have thinner webs or something. Either way you can make an RZ crank fit an LC by releiving the case sides, so I guess you could do that in an AC as well perhaps.

If you run the RZ electrics there should be no reason why the AC shouldnt work with the RZ parts, but the curve will be different and that may mean more heat, which the AC cyls and pistons wont like... you should check that. I actually run my RZ with Athena with the LC stator and rotor and CDI, with a piggyback Zeel... so it seems you can go forward and back with those parts, so perhaps the AC too...

74/75s may not have had a complaince plate, not all mid 70s bikes did... dunno about ACs tho, someone more knowledgable will chime in I am sure...
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Well I would use lc stator and electrics.. I have seen air cooled top ends run on lc bottom ends so dont think they would have issues with timming or what ever..anyway soon ill give it a crack see how I go
jools58
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by jools58 »

The LC crank is wider on the drive side and interferes with the clutch cover from memory
One day lad all this will be yours............