Home Powdercoating.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Home Powdercoating.

Post by OzzyElsie »

Home Powdercoating, has anyone done it? Comments?

I'm thinking of it because getting small items done is inconvenient and expensive. But I'm not real keen - finding the room and time etc etc it might be pretty marginal especially if the results are less than spectacular.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: Home Powdercoating.

Post by Greasemeup »

The biggest thing is the oven, you have to make one to suit your size needs, then store it afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

I don't think it's doable at home. Several reasons,oven yes,power bill,raw materials purchased only in bulk, inevidable F ups etc etc etc
Thommo
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by Thommo »

I haven't done it, but i know a few people who have done it and some quite well.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

This is a bit of a tangential idea, but if a few people are in driving range, maybe a co operative venture could be set up. Along the lines of, or attached to, one of those "Shed mates" type clubs/schemes. Just throwing an idea around.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:This is a bit of a tangential idea, but if a few people are in driving range, maybe a co operative venture could be set up. Along the lines of, or attached to, one of those "Shed mates" type clubs/schemes. Just throwing an idea around.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have toyed with and investigated various ideas such as home plating and bead blasting for similar reasons as above - against; space, dangers, results and set up costs. for; convenience and cost for small runs - I think I pay through the nose for small runs and small items.

But have whimped out and decided against them and gone professional. I think powdercoating decision is more favourable. My big worry is quality of finish.

The set up costs are not outrageous so it might be worth giving it a trial.

If I went that way I would be happy to do the 'Shed Mates' rates but my guess would be postage wound cruel it.

A range of powders is available. There's this guy on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Powder-Coati ... 33a1121320

There's also that kit company Cassons (???) at Newcastle.

$25 (two aerosols) for 500 grams doesn't seem too bad, but one of the things I need to sort out is how far 500 grams goes.

I would also need to experiment with the colour to make sure they are close to what I want. I thinking mainly of high wear/high rub/high chip items line engine covers, fork legs etc.

The next step is to ask this guy for prices. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/custom-powde ... 27fd6b0a67
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

What area do you live in, Sydney?

OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Greasemeup wrote:What area do you live in, Sydney?

Campbelltown.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

OzzyElsie wrote:
The next step is to ask this guy for prices. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/custom-powde ... 27fd6b0a67
I asked about fork legs 400 x 50mm and (drum roll please) "Sand blasted primed black $30 each "

I'll have to investigate postage x 2 (each way)

$13 - $16 each way - so about $90. How's that for value, anyone know.

Ciao
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Christ, thats forty five quid the pair. Sounds like a trouble saver to me.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Home Powdercoating.

Post by Greasemeup »

Not really, there seems to be a massive swing in price range between powder coaters, for a frame I was quoted circa 400, down to 70.
Powder coasters up here usually don't sand blast, bar the odd exception, so you need to consider that in your figures.

BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

you guys who live within range of the same service providers should get a comparison list together. people on here seem to be clustered fairly conveniently.
I'm down in SA, only bloke near me into the same stuff is a mate who lives two streets away!