Cheap small blasting cabinet light replacement

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Cheap small blasting cabinet light replacement

Post by JonW »

For all those who have the el-cheapo blasting cabinets like this one:

They are sold all over the world branded into each market under the local tool shops, ie HAFCO in Aus, Machine Mart in the UK, Harbourfreight in the USA etc etc.

I expect by now that your light will have failed... They last mere minutes it seems and cost $50+ to replace. Hmm... There is no proof that replacing it with another unit will last any longer than the first so like the rest of you I’d left it and it annoyed me.

Ive had a really good look over the system and conclude that while some of the wiring is cool, they transformer is cheap junk and gives out too much power (16v!), probably what killed it.

I decided it was time to upgrade it as I was getting tired of trying to shine lights into the box from outside whenever I wanted to tidy up a small part.

Firstly I stripped the tube out of the cabinet - two cable ties and un clip the wires inside the switch, which you also need to remove from the cabinet body.

I gutted the old tube by pulling off the ends (using some penetrating oil to ease them off – if you do this make sure you clean it off after, you don’t want it in the blaster), Then remove the alloy plate and the tube itself. Cut away all the tube circuits and safely dispose of that lot. Keep the plate, the outer cover, end caps and wire that goes to the switch. Also keep the transformer for now.

I bought one of these kits for $13 incl post. You might find em cheaper, but this worked for me :)

Its a lumilife and I got it from LEDHut in Aus. The strip is easily cutable with scissors and it comes with a 12v transformer and lead.

The beauty of the strip LEDs is that you can cut and extend them and I intended to fully customise it anyway, so it was time to cut it up. Always nice with a new part!

I used the backing alloy strip to lay out my new light on (its a reflector in the original setup) to mount the LEDs, using the convex side to spread the light around more than the concave would. I put tape where the connection points are situated so it didn’t short out on the alloy. It’s probably ok as it has double-sided tape there, but I didn’t want it short circuit when fitted.

My 1m of LEDs meant I had 3 strips to cut n stick on and then I wired the + and – together using wires cut from the lead that came with the unit. You can do that as you need to cut off the joint plug along with the wires that come from the LED strip as you will use the old feed cable from the cabinet so you get to use the old switch.

Now cut the wire with the connector off the old transformer so that you can extend the new transformer cable (which is always very short) and also can use the connector that goes into the switch on the side of the blast cab.

When its all cabled up you can test it.

Assuming its all works, carefully slide the strip back into the plastic tube and sit the end caps on. I had another test at this point in case anything had moved.

Put it back in the cab and adjust it a little downwards so it doesn’t send bright light into your eyes! Remember to lock the steel clamps with cable ties like original, and run the wires back through the lock nut in the cabinet, reconnect the switch and screw it back on.

Switch on and enjoy!

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheap small blasting cabinet light replacement

Post by hybrid »

Good write up. I have a cheapy plastic cabinet. The light still works I think, but the viewing panel lasts 5 mins before you can't see through it. I swapped in some glass, but that doesn't last all that long either.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The cabinet i have has tear off strips of clear that you can pull for a better view. Ive never done it, I just wipe it now n then and squint. I assume youre using some kind of vac to pull out the air and some of the dust Jeff?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah I hook my shop vac up to it.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Nice write up Jon.

Shop vac was the best investment, gets used every time I am in the garage..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

My best investment was a robotic vac for the garage :lol:
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I found my Aldi shop vac was way too powerful so am interested if people have found a better solution. The Aldi unit can suck the gloves off their clamps if you run it fully connected and dont put air into the cab (ie not blasting), I'd love to find some better solution really, hmm.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Activate the fresh air bypass on the hose or handle, or get a hose and put holes in it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I use an el cheapo wet and dry vac I got years ago and it seems to work ok. I have a similar blast unit to that one and my light still works but the lens went dull from the grit hitting it so is not much use anymore. Also the tear off strips are a complete waste of time as grit got between all my sheets the first time I used it so they all got destroyed. Now I just open the lid a tiny bit and peep in the gap to see what's happening, makes a bit of a mess but gets the job done. A face shield is needed mind you. You really need the unit with the door on the side but they cost a hell of a lot more.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Greasemeup wrote:Activate the fresh air bypass on the hose or handle, or get a hose and put holes in it :)
yep, thats what I do...
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Interesting your light survived Pat, tho my strips are still good. Maybe between a few of us we would get a decent one LOL

I tried lifting the lid on mine, but the dust was vicious, and to be honest I wear a mask when working on it anyway as the dust leaks out the lid seals.

I agree the larger cab is better and knowing what i do now I would buy that instead, but it is quite a bit more money.

The other annoying thing about our type is that the media ends up down the wrong end. Ive seen a webpage where a guy installed a plastic false floor which helped return the media to the lift pipe. maybe that the next project and I wont have to have a bit of wood under the right side LOL
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Interesting.
Theres a place in sAdelaide that was doing freestanding side loading blast cabs for $350.
TBH that isn't all that far off what you see the smaller desktop cabs going for
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.