RZ250 cyl base gasket

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RZ250 cyl base gasket

Post by jools »

Like a twat, :oops: I only ordered one cylinder base gasket for my top end rebuild.
Has anyone in Australia got a spare? or a spare pair? -It's an '83 RZ - NOTE 250.
-Jools
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RZ250 cyl base gasket

Post by Gavin »

If the '86 is the same I can loan you a pair and you replace in a few weeks if that helps. Saves you waiting for the post. I'll need mine in about a month. PM me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

250 and 350 are the same gasket, as are early and late RZ, so sounds like you have a plan :)
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Gavin and Jon, thanks very much for your help. I decided to get my act together and just simply make a couple of gaskets using the one I had as a template. All bolted together now.
Interesting Jon that the 350 and 250 base gaskets are the same part, - I know the head gaskets are different however, the 350 having larger bore holes for the larger bore.
Cheers lads.

Be good to get it running again, though I do need to check out a possible flooding problem.
The kid had trouble starting it for a while and I told him to try the prime position. It's possible he left it in that pos, because when I pulled the barrels off, the crankcases were full of fuel. But also there is a (very) slow drip from the fuel tap too which could have caused it (in conjunction with possibly suss float needles). It was sitting idle for a couple of months.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The bottom end of the RZ is really a 250, and Yamaha just went bigger on the cyls, everything 'downstairs' is the same. Only changes thru the years was to remove the tacho drive and different stators/flywheels, even the banshee uses the same main engine parts. It worked so yamaha left it alone from 83-2006(or whenever the banshee died).

Prime means the fuel runs free, on means it is controlled by carb vacuum. you can get a rebuild kit for the petcock, and also still buy a whole new one, but defo change those float needles.

Great that you are close to it making noise! :D
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Prrrr...
Prrrrr...
Prrrr...
Prrrr-ning, ning, ninnnng,
Prrrr, ninnngggnhhgng, nnouuuugh...
Pant-pant-pant...
Prrrr... Prrrrr...Prrrr...Prrrr-ning, ning, ninnnng, ninnngggnhhgng, nnouuuugh...
Prrrr...
Prrrrr...
Pant-pant-pant...
Prrrr...
Prrrr-ning, ning, ninnnng, ninng-ringadingadingadinga- w'eeeeoouu, weeeeeouuuugh, Wahhhh, Wahhhh, Wahhh....
coughcoughcoughcoughcough, -jeezus I knew I shoulda got it out of the workshop first!
coughcoughcoughcoughcough coughcoughcoughcoughcough coughcoughcoughcoughcough.
Now, where's that fridge again?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

:-)

That garage is going to smell so good tomorrow
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Oil on clothes, hair, skin... everyone knows what youve been doing... just like being 17 again... That was bikes wasnt it? :D
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

if you were lucky, that was your girlfriend
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I got lucky now n then, the rest of the time I played with bikes of both sorts LOL!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

y'know, there's something to be said for a girl of negotiable moral standards.
Bikes of both sorts have their attractions. Like Hardleys, you just don't want to get caught riding the wrong ones.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Well, I'll ride (almost) anything. Hey, why not spread the love?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

So long as you wipe up afterwards