SCOOP>>>New 2 stroke Honda

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
rgvmad

SCOOP>>>New 2 stroke Honda

Post by rgvmad »

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/scoop-hondas ... -are-back/

Hope this is true :Clap: and not just a diesels fans idea of a prank.. :roll: :cry:
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: SCOOP>>>New 2 stroke Honda

Post by OzzyElsie »

How old is that? I notice the article is dated 17/07/15 but I think the patent is much older and much vaunted.

What ever the engine is I doubt it will be 'screamer' - not with that complex crank (which I can't work out). Too much weight, too many bearings!

I'm guessing the odd ball crank varies it speed through the revolution given greater volume at the lower part of the stroke and then speeding up during the compression stroke, giving a supercharger effect.

And it won't have a traditional twoee advantage of cost.

My prediction; it will never see the light of day. Too costly and if it makes great horsepower with minimum weight it doesn't meet any racing regs and therefor won't race. No racing no acceptance by the riding public.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

OzzyElsie wrote: My prediction; it will never see the light of day.
Agree, Honda has a history or doing oddball stuff with engines though, oval pistons anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rgvmad

Post by rgvmad »

OzzyElsie wrote:
My prediction; it will never see the light of day. Too costly and if it makes great horsepower with minimum weight it doesn't meet any racing regs and therefor won't race. No racing no acceptance by the riding public.
UMMMMM what are they racing right now in the MRRDA ???? Moriwaki 80cc :wink:

It will be excepted if its made by any of the top Jap manufactures as they help dictate the rules.
Cheap... light ... powerful sounds like a prefect race engine for small classes over the 250 moto3 style expensive diesel crap they have now..
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I'm baffled, how does that crank work?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
rgvmad

Post by rgvmad »

Yep how it get lubricated has me stuffed ,maybe it has injection and carbs.
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

If the numbers all line up for the bean counters at Honda we may sees it. If it passes all enviro regs and from a production view (making/building engines) saving on costs are beneficial we may see it in road bikes. I believe a 4stroke engine from production has a bigger carbon foot print compared to 2stroke.
Very cool design though, looks tricky.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Wizz wrote:If the numbers all line up for the bean counters at Honda we may sees it. If it passes all enviro regs and from a production view (making/building engines) saving on costs are beneficial we may see it in road bikes. I believe a 4stroke engine from production has a bigger carbon foot print compared to 2stroke.
Very cool design though, looks tricky.

I doubt if they would be a cost savings, significant or not. It has a valve and rocker, the extra bearings and doverlackies and unique castings and machining. There would have to be enormous advantages in other areas, power, fuel economy, weight etc.

It would have to be a quantum leap forward to be acceptable to the bean counters or the public. I would love to be wrong but..........
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916