TZR250 Restoration

Post your Project Bike threads here.
salty

TZR250 Restoration

Post by salty »

It begins.

My first 2 stroke 250 bike has landed today and it's crying out for some TLC. My previous ride was the Aprilia RS125 and comparing the two; there is a world of difference. The TZR is just showing it's age.

The good:
The engine kicks over and some of the electronics is working.

The bad:
Few missing covers.
Exhaust manifolds are not creating a seal so the exhaust just flows out.
Fuel tank inner condition is questionable. Pictures to come.
Breaks are semi stuck making pushing it a challenge.
Indicators are not working.
Currently not ride-able

My goal is to bring this demon back to the roads.

I'm looking forwards to all your support on this journey.

My first step will be to get the chassis rolling freely but those breaks are tight and dry as a nun!

Some initial questions are:

- What are the best way to deal with difficult bolts?
- I used to buy my RS from PJME, but is there a better place for TZR parts? I wanna replace the rusted bolts and nuts, where can I get these?
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: TZR250 Restoration

Post by Greasemeup »

"My first step will be to get the chassis rolling freely but those breaks are tight and dry as a nun! "

WRONG!!

First step is always pictures :)

Its difficult to pick up a lot of nuts and bolts because the generic stuff that's out there usually just wont cut it. Some shops sell a nut & bolt pack but your lucky if you can use a small portion of it. Have you considered a plating kit?
salty

Post by salty »

Hehehehheh, pictures to come. Let the sun come up and I'll take some shots.

Plating kit? What's that? Right. As in keep the bolts but plate over them? Meaning they are still 'original'?

Wouldn't that increase the size of the bolt and make the threads unaligned?
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

salty wrote:...As in keep the bolts but plate over them? Meaning they are still 'original'?

Wouldn't that increase the size of the bolt and make the threads unaligned?
The fasteners are mostly zinc-plated as standard, so the replating process will (if done properly :lol: ) strip the old plating and rust before putting on a new layer. If you don't want to do it yourself, there are some firms around which can do it for you.
Some Japanese bike parts were plated with a black/dark olive colour zinc, although most platers offer only silver or gold zinc. I tend to get most parts replated in silver zinc.

If lots of the special-purpose fasteners are beyond replating, there are some bike wreckers in Japan which sometimes sell "fastener packs" from bikes which they dismantle (I've bought a couple of these from Miyabee Plus, although there are others which offer similar). You should be able to pick up such a pack for about A$25 or less (not including postage), although you may have to get some or all of these fasteners replated anyway.

Regards,
James
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

In addition to James comments, there is a kit available with olive drab.

Chris will be able to give more info and answer any questions you have.

chris@aedaustralia.com

GMU..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salty

Post by salty »

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm about to pull the engine apart for a complete build, where is the best place for bearings and seals?
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Hey mate hows the project going..I haveca mate who has a rs125 also and looking to make a change to bigger 2 stroke..I have recomended a tzr to him I think they are a fantastic bike i have had a few and know lots about them..let me know if u need to know anything Specifically..all bolts except swing arm pivot bolt and calipers could be replaced by new bolts from fasteners supplier..either stainless steel or steal and have them plated..but if using stainless u will have to oil them befor as aluminium and stainless reacts
salty

Post by salty »

The project has not moved.

I'm actually looking to sell the tzr250 to someone who has more time to work on it than myself.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Hey Salty how much for the TZR project?
salty

Post by salty »

Looking for 2k.