airbox vs pods results

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

airbox vs pods results

Post by twinrock »

ll I know this debate has been on the run for a long time..I have always been 1 for the no air box argument and when building a bike its the first thing to go..second is the stock muffler if possible then complete chamber. 2 reasons for this ..one, ease of access on carb and two, i have always had bettr ovr all results removing stock air boxes. The bike in this scenario is 96 dt200r. Now I rode the bike for a couple of weeks with stock air box befor giving it a full, mostly cosmetic, face lift..now the bike is all back together with ball park jetting. I spent the morning sorting out jetting . The result is a much broader fuller driving power right off idle there is no lag and no bog simply roll on throttle from any where and nice smooth instant power increase..pulls very hard and clean..no bellowing induction. ie a far better performing engine. N ow dont get me wrong im not saying an air box designed purely for performance is no good.. im saying that in my experience, mostly yamaha, the airbox has more to do with emmisions, fueling and noise, Which inevitability is at the cost of over all performce.. im also not sugesting that it is suitable for all aplications..my dt is set up for the road..I would not suggest riding through a creek with I pod filter on.. and also dont expect to simply pull ur air box off and have instand double power...carefull documented jetting will be needed. I hope this info can be usefull when making the choice..
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: airbox vs pods results

Post by OzzyElsie »

Many years ago I stumbled on the importance of a free flowing airbox (and the resistive compromised OEM airboxs).

I was enduro'ising a DT360. Did the normal with the engine and then worked on the air box. To be honest it was driven more by weight saving and the tickering gene rather than any science. For pragmatism I made a big still air box and put a shield air filter on top feeding the air box. Wow, what a difference. I would estimate it as good as the chamber - from responsiveness to out right power it was as good as an mx'er (with fairly standard porting, carb and heavy maggy).

I noted with interest the manufacturers do the same thing with their sports bikes; bigger and bigger still air boxes immediately in front of the carb inlets - I should have patented the idea :D .

My mind is turning to my 'new project' and having easy access to the carbs will be one of the issues - and for this reason it won't have an OEM air box. The question will be pods or home made.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916