Effin Sh*tbox RD250LC

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Effin Sh*tbox RD250LC

Post by pkay »

I'm sure that's a phrase we've all muttered many times. I have been doing it quite a bit of late in regards to my LC.

Regulars will know that I had the selector bearing collapse in my LC. After 14 months of getting it ready to back on the road the first trip to work post registration saw the gearbox lock up and the bike go home on the trailer.

So now the engine is back in the bike (that didn't take long at all) but I have no spark to the plugs. And tracing an electrical gremlin is the worst task ever!! I have spark from the generator on kick so it's somewhere in the coil circuit. I suspect I've pulled a wire putting the bike back together but JEEZUS it's giving me the willies. :evil:

OK rant over.........
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Effin Sh*tbox RD250LC

Post by JonW »

LOL, weve all been there pkay :)

Its probably an earth or a very obvious missing connector, follow all the wires and loom as much as you can, take your time... you will find it.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I'll give you $50 ;)
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Tempting. So last night I established that I have current to the CDI and current from the CDI when I kick the bike over. There is only one frame earth mount I can see which is the one that earths at the bottom of the coil and that is what the wiring diagram shows too - tell me I'm right........ Or hopefully I'm wrong and that is the answer. I've pulled out the oil tank and battery box to follow the wires. I've checked the connectors. The bloody thing ran fine before the engine came out some something is proving a challenge..........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHhhhh.......
FUGGGIT!!!!! Hey but I did solve an electrical issue on my GPz900R last night so not all bad......
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

What about yer kill switch?
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

hybrid wrote:What about yer kill switch?

Always a good starting point.

What are you using to detect the current/voltage when you kick it over?
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

New plugs? (It has been known!)
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Yes did the kill switch circuit. I haven't measured the actual current but just that it's there. Done the new plugs too. Pulled out the oil tank and battery box to follow all the wires. So now I've got the mobile mechanic dude coming next Thursday as I've admitted defeat. I've bet him a slab he finds it in 10 minutes! I'll be watching him so he doesn't cheat......
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

One thing LCs dont like is an old ignition switch, but this does sound more 'obvious' than that, ie something has become disconnected. :/