couldn't resist. rz250

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: couldn't resist. rz250

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. Was thinkin i'd keep an eye out for barrell to convert from 250 to 350. So i was watching a set of 31k barrell on e bay. I thought i'll bid up to $230 for the pair. plus $30 ish shipping. They went for $340 plus shipping. Ouch, you'd still have to buy a head, bore and hone cylinder $160, buy reed blocks, plus piston kit $200+ by the time you have done all that Your up around $800 and would be better of buying an Athena kit for a few huderd more. Then along came a rusty old rz250 that allready had been converted to a $350. 31k cylinders and carburetors, f2 350 pipes, 350 oil pump only thing missing is the right cd1 box. All that plus a rolling bike with ggod forks and wheels for less money then i spent on a root canal at the dentist last week. happy days, It was a case of johnny on the spot at the right time. The cylinders are 2nd over 65mm fitted with wiseco pro light pistons. piston to bore clearance is to spec, ring gap also. the crank feels good, will be taking it out and checked for run out etc. Guy who used to own the bike said he rebuilt the top end and put a few thousand k's on it before it had a gear box problem when his miss's was riding it.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

yep been there with the costs before (bottom of this page):

http://2smoked.com/Yamaha_RD_%26_RZ_upg ... rimer.html

but yes the new whole bike is a better plan... you always get more for your money if you buy a whole bike :)
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

The biggest expense your gonna face Gman is the cost of a bigger shed to stuff all these RZs into! I think you guys are mostly responsible for the current RZ price bubble. :)

Still, it looks like another good score and there is obviously enough interest in RZs at the moment that you could liberate the bits you need and sell the rest of it on and recover most of your purchase outlay. Way to go.