whats wrong with this picture

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: whats wrong with this picture

Post by hybrid »

Talking too much about electric rubbish can trigger an auto ban here... it's hidden in the code somewhere I'm sure ;)
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Damn, after posting about my love for my XT500 I need to keep my posts 'clean' from now on... :D
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

hybrid wrote:Talking too much about electric rubbish can trigger an auto ban here... it's hidden in the code somewhere I'm sure ;)
Hmm. Another tree hugger hater?

We might all be pinging around on electric cycles before too long hybrid.....

Yeah Gman, a real shame it's been left to rot. Rons had a whole bunch of shit to live through over the past 5 years or so and the RZ would have been the least of his worries. You can't hold a good man down though so it's great to see him building mad projects again.

Ron and I share a love of old guitars and I've got one his beautiful old 1950's archtops laying here somewhere waiting on some work, when I'm not stuffing around on old motorcycles and hanging out on Internet forums.....
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Not another.. I'm the original [emoji38] You can ride an electric bike if you like, but I would rather give up riding!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Go the tree huggers. especially the ones that own 2 strokes. ying and yang. I was thinking of going of the power grid and using a yamaha invertor generator. Only problem is they only make 4 stroke models. maybe one can be converted to a 2 stroke. i best check the back shed.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

If anyone can make a 2 stroke genny Gman, you're gonna be it!

Revs are critical with generators because rpm determines Frequency, which should be a steady 50Hz. The trick is to get them to load and unload without changing revs.

One of your YL3 motors ought to do it. Set of spannies and big carbs, bit of port work maybe some wheelie bars. It'll run the whole house. :)
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

hybrid wrote:Talking too much about electric rubbish can trigger an auto ban here... it's hidden in the code somewhere I'm sure ;)
That would make you the best person to test out the Zero SR for us.
There is a dealer in Sydney now.
I would be interested in whether one of us 2 strokers could be 'turned'.

Not that I would get rid of my 2 strokes.
When I am an old git I plan to terrorise the local classic bike club days by transplanting my TZ350F into a RZ350 frame and LC cases.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Im keen to try one Mark, I reckon leccy bikes would make great motards, which is the riding I really like and what will eventually be the end of me I suspect, but less of that... The idea of low-slung weight and low down torque and sticky tyres are whats needed as a city carver, plus the potential issues with range are not such a problem if youre just blatting thru traffic and having fun on short journeys. Right now they would not be my choice for other uses, but I dont ride any distance anyway, I have a car for that of course.

A while back I was like many thinking bikes needed to be noisy and have a petrol motor, but the engineer in me sees that the right bike for the environment its ridden in is what is needed and I just see electric as another power source and with that comes potential and has my brain 'thinking'. I dont expect everyone to like it, hell Pat went spare when I mentioned the XT500 a while back complaining that this is a 2 stroke forum, and thats a proper old skoool yam ffs LOL So this is not ever going to be a popular topic here...

Obviously, anyone who knows me will tell you that Im not trying to change the world, I love petrol and hope to enkoy using as much of it as I can before I die and i'll leave the whole 'saving the planet'[1] thing to others, but im more about the right tool for the job and I think electric motors have their place, theyre just different ways of cracking the same nut. And no... I wouldnt kick a Tesla out of may garage either, for 90% of my car use one would be perfect, if only they were cheaper, they are really quite stunning inside and out. Anyway, lets not talk about cars... bike forum n all that. ;) :roll:

1 - no i dont want to get into an argument about that, im aware that smelly old power stations feed the 'clean' electric vehicles etc.

Im not getting rid of my 2 strokes either, I also wish to stink up the club days with my anti social smelly bikes :D
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Despite being a tree hugger thru and thru, I'll fight for our collective right to burn fossil fuels in old vehicles until we're all pushing up daisies. It'll become a birthright of old farts like us to produce our minuscule carbon emissions till we die.

I was in Brazil 10 years ago for my work and I was astounded that the whole country of 220 million people run mostly on 'alcohol' - ethanol from sugar. Every servo has equal numbers of gas and alcohol pumps, but the alcohol is half the price. Air quality in San Paolo is better than Sydney, despite having a population bigger than Australia.

I think the mainstream however will inevitably end up using cleaner fuels and Jons right, the immediate focus will be on electricity emissions and that will of course be very bad news for Newcastle and CQ. I think there'll plenty of jobs for another 20 years or so, but local kids might want to be looking at other areas for a career.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I would use an electric commuter (car or bike) for sure one day, but it will have nothing to do with saving the environment.

It will be because solar and battery storage will become cheap enough that I can charge a vehicle and commute to work and back essentially for free. I already have solar on my house, but again it has nothing to do with me caring.

I only have to drive 8km each way to work, so I don't even care about long range.