XS1100's

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

XS1100's

Post by BRG1200 »

How popular were these things over here, and how rare/common? A new friend is looking for one, he's an old git like me in his mid to late 40's. Wondering what his chances are and would like to help him in any way I might be able to.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: XS1100's

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:How popular were these things over here, and how rare/common? A new friend is looking for one, he's an old git like me in his mid to late 40's. Wondering what his chances are and would like to help him in any way I might be able to.
The Xessive was as popular as any of the big bikes of that period, Z1, Z1000, CB750, Bol D'Or, GS750/1000 etc., so your chances of picking one up are about the same - that is, pretty good. And like for a LC, a little patience and bargaining cool will go a long way. :P

Ditto for condition, but the good news is I would expect the price to be lower than the likes of the iconics like Fond of whores and Z1's.

They were a 'good thing' - reliable as the day is long and could be punted as hard as the best of them. The XS was proddy raced and did okay (ish). They were heavy and felt top heavy; the suspension, brakes and tyres could be overtaxed by weight and power when pushed hard. They wobbled and weaved (like most of the period) but if you got use to them and held your nerve and didn't panic - size and strength was an advantage.

Popular as a tourer (good tank size and shaft drive) and popular with sidecarist (strong motor and shaft drive).

There is even an Ozzie :P web site;

http://xs1100.com.au/forum/index.php?PH ... 0bf6a1fe7c&

Probably a good pl;ace to start for advice, sympathy or a runner.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Thanks, I'll put him onto that site, may help him out.
Made him an offer over a bbq last night to lend him my project RG250 to have something to tinker with while he is looking for his own bike. He was enthusiastic about that, wonder if he'll be tempted back to the 2T dark side.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

I recently talked with a xs1100 owner at my local motorcylce tyre shop. he said he was considering selling his xs. I asked him what he thought he might get for it. He said around $4g, which i thought was a pretty fair price. his was black, in good original condition. The trye guy may have his number.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

If its this black one in good condition its worth $4g.

One good looking m/c and one I lusted for at the time. The tourer is better proposition as a rider.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I'll get a bit more info from my new friend, he had one years ago, has no bike at present, feels like getting another XS. We've all been there I guess!
He's had a few big fours, FJ, RX or ZZR I think.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I don't know the story behind this variant. Developed in Europe (France?) but I'm not sure if it was sold officially or if at all. But Yamaha should have taken the hint and they would have had a GTR1000 8 years before Ma Kawa - and the tooling and all paid for.

What I liked about it is the top fairing was attached to the handle bars and gave full lock, but was in close to the rider (effective). The nose needed some work (but hey, that's why I think it was a French design :P )