bore or not to bore?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

bore or not to bore?

Post by twinrock »

Ihave just got my rd350 cylinders in the mail today..bores look real good and on first oversize.. there are no pistons..usually when I get second hand cylinders they are scored so rebore..but..seems a waste in this case.. can I just order a set of pistons and hope the tollerances are ok..and give a light hone..?
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: bore or not to bore?

Post by gman »

mate it's all about the cylinder measurement. If they are within spec i would hone them and check spec again. If they measure up in regards to piston bore clearance and maximum minimum bore spec then you can buy the pistons and rings and your set. If they measure out of spec then it's a rebore. like i said the measurments will tell you which way you need to go.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

I only have digital verniers..not the most accurate way..cant tell if the bore js oval or not..I have since ordered 2nd over size..http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/73-75-Yamaha ... 280e700cbb very cheap.. I used these on my tzr and they were great quality..
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Be careful with those pistons, my mate bought some and the thing rattled its head off. Turned out the pistons were stamped .5 but were actually way under size.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Crusinimage does offer some decent things at times, the solo seat cushions were superb for example, but those pistons are very very cheaply priced... just saying.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

thanks for that..Glen Livingston who does most of the engine rebores for the bike shops here was really impressed with the ones I used,,maybe a luck of the draw type thing..