Making cafe racery bits

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Making cafe racery bits

Post by BRG1200 »

My 10 year old wanted to make some Star Wars/Halo battle armour so I got to showing him youtube videos of people like Herm Narcisso making cafe racer seat humps etc.
Their typical technique to make a form or buck is to glue blocks of styrofoam together then carve and sand it down. Incredibly messy. No good for my 10 year old. Then I recalled the stuff they use in florists, "OASIS".
Got a box cutter and the boy has successfully carved a few components with very little mess or effort and nice clean lines.
The stuff is a lot softer, so needs careful handling, but is a good low mess alternative.
Have used spray glue to stick a few bricks of it together, boy can get into something bigger tomorrow.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Making cafe racery bits

Post by ged »

Your onto it BRG. Florists foam is very workable and safe and easy to use. The old timers used to use styro cut with a hot wire, until people started dying of cancer from the fumes.....

http://youtu.be/XeeSsmsm9h0

This guy is working in carbon, but the modelling and moulding process is basically the same for fibreglass. I learned a lot from these vids.....