73 RD250

Post your Project Bike threads here.
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

73 RD250

Post by ajs71 »

Fellow strokers, the journey has begun...

I now have a 74 (the gold one) and a 73 (the one this thread is about). Amazing, found both of these in neighbouring suburbs of Sth Western Sydney.
The 73 has been running recently, but I will be stripping it down and sorting the oily bits.
Will provide details with images as the journey gets underway. The plan is NOT to cafe, bobber, brat, etc. rather to sympathetically restore.
Where possible, I want to maintain them as 40+ year old bikes. Preserve the faded paint and tarnished bright work and focus on the mechanicals.
As you can see, the 73 has a tank thats been 'primed' so that will be fun deciding on where to go with that. Just one of the many tasks that lay ahead.
The oil tank / side cover on the 74 is resting in a container, awaiting cleaning.
Both bikes are complete and are of the 'barn find' variety.
Plan is to ride one of these to the BSFoS at Sydney Raceway in March...hopefully. If not, either or both will be riding there on the back of my trusty old hilux!
Cheers, A
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: 73 RD250

Post by ged »

They both look like great starts. Congratulations. Did I see the 73 on fleabay a while ago? I love the drum braked front end and it looks like the wheels on both those bikes are in good nick! Amazing.

Gee, your a glutton for punishment with 2 on your plate!

Look forward to seeing your progress.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Patina; I love ya plan :Clap:
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Actually.... The wheels on the 73 have been rebuilt and the more you look, you can see that somebody has already poured a good deal of time and money it. Looks like a good buy.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Are you sure that's not a 72, the 250 came out in 72 with the drum front and changed to the disc in 73. This is a cause of a fair few arguments regarding the release date and some even saying they never had a drum front but your bike and mine prove the point.
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ajs71 »

74 was found on bay of e and the 73 on the tree of gum...yes i like saying them like that!
The very first 73 models had the drum front. Yes, the previous owner of the 73 had put time and money into it. The seat is crap, with the foam having disintegrated and personally I prefer the original look of the one on the 74. Now it is up to me to complete the work.
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ajs71 »

Fellow lovers of all things stroker...
Yes it's been far too long and thought I'd update you all on the RD fleet. Scored a box of AC parts from my local wreckers including gearbox, a barrel and heads and other stuff which I'm yet to sort. Still sticking to my original plan with the 73 and that is a sympathetic preservation, rather than a restoration. I've drained the gearbox oil and am awaiting various seals prior to refilling same. No pics at this stage but as soon as Winter f#cks off the 73 will be filling the air with that glorious two stroke haze...
Unsure at this stage, but contemplating something a little less standard for the 74. Cheers AJ.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Good luck AJ
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.