Yet another Brisbaneite

Tell us about yourself and your bike(s), car(s), boat(s) or other toys
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Yet another Brisbaneite

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd do the right thing and introduce myself before (hopefully) getting your assistance in building an RZ350 Hybrid project I've started.

My bio is that I've been riding since the late 70's and been modifying bikes and cars since then too. Lately, since my kids have grown up and just about out of home, I've now got the time to work on and plan a few bike builds reflecting some of my favourite bikes from the good old days.

I bought a brand new RD350 LC in 1981 and had an absolute ball on it, so recently I bought an unloved and modified 86 RZ250 that turned out to have a 350 motor in it. Bonus!

I've scratch built a Lotus Seven replica car back in 2003 and finished building a Yamaha XS650 racer style earlier this year, so hopefully I can do the RZ350 justice.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and maybe meeting some of the other Brissie lads.

Phil
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Yet another Brisbaneite

Post by JonW »

Welcome Phil, youve got some great looking builds behind you so cant wait to see what you do with the RZ. :)
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Hey Phil
Welcome aboard - be interested to see what you do with the bike
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Awesome looking 7 mate. Poor mans Ferrari beater, do you still have it?
I often wonder what one would look like after Chip Foose redesigned it..

Nice XS of course, and good luck with the RZ, what colour do you have in mind?

Welcome.. GMU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Thanks guys for the welcome.

Jonw, Having seen and read your builds I can only hope to mimic your build quality!

GMU, Unfortunately I sold the clubman but it was definitely a Ferrari beater and way too much fun to be legal. The handling was intuitive and the acceleration/braking amazing!

I'm planning to start a build thread to document the RZ bike build but looking to make a race oriented hybrid. I've collected some parts already: RGV front and rear end, Tyga Aprilia full fairing, JL expansion chambers etc. The motor is an '83 350 (31K) which I'll rebuild but keep reasonably standard with a few upgrades.

Cheers,
Phil
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Welcome Phil, nice spread of interests there buddy, cafe racers aren't normally my thing but yours is very tastefully done and looks like it would be fun to ride.

Your RZ looks like a good basis for a project, so look forward to seeing updates on your progress in the future. A little word of warning though, once you go 2T there's no turning back!

Rgds
Ozhammer
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

That's the best re-interpretation of an XS650 I've seen in a long time!
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Welcome aboard Phil. Your form guide looks pretty impressive mate! As does your workshop, (I'm jealous...). Look forward to seeing the progress of your RZ. Its already looking great.
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Thanks for your comments. I was trying to build the xs650 as more racer than 'cafe' .

Check out the project build topic for latest RZ photos and chip in with ideas or comments.