anyone opened lc pipes

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock101
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

anyone opened lc pipes

Post by twinrock101 »

Ok cutting open removing baffle/linning..someone sugested this mod to me in another post..and i kinda dismissed it..as it is alot of work..but it did get me thinking.. i have done it before on tzr, dt200 and dt400 and yes it was an improvement in performance and weight..however they did not have the same set up in side . From what i can see in pics online and down the pipe rdlc pipes have donut rings and chambers inside..has anyone removed all this stuff ..i have a mate who has a set of rz pipes which have been modded..cut shorter as well..i cant remember how exactly. And he didnt do it..his motor is totally stock but running rg250 carbs no air box..man it hauls ass , ill get some pics and see just what has been done..from what i remember it wasnt a neat or pretty job..but they went as hard as and custom built pipes ive tried.. yes i do realize that custom built or aftermarket options would give greater result..but im on a very tight buget with the build..any thoughts..thanks
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: anyone opened lc pipes

Post by JonW »

Those plates inside are all spot welded in place, its a lot of work to remove them is my 2c.
twinrock101
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by twinrock101 »

I just read this..i had read it before https://books.google.com.au/books?id=KE ... vs&f=false i tnink i will leave them alone.. ill try and sorce another set and mod them then there would be a direct comparison..for another day tho
twinrock101
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by twinrock101 »

Ok so on further reading.. and chatting to a mate who knows a fair bit bout exhausts and gas flow.. the rings are purely for sound, sound waves want to travel outwards but gas stays pretty central..so the rings quiet the pipe without restricting the gas flow.. however the mesh, which is on the side wall in the mid section is recommended to be removed for performance improvement.. this is the same meshing i removed in other pipes..and the thing i noticed most is just how much carbon builds up in this area..seems like a pretty straightforward job on these pipes
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

I remember Norbo did a full pipe comparison, might save you a lot of time & effort for the cost of a search over three..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

I've done it.. its no biggy, just sectioned them across with a cutoff disc in the angle grinder,
( do remember to align mark the spot where you cut - so they'll weld back in the same position).

I originally did it because some of the bits inside had fallen off, & made an annoying rattle.
A few decent whacks with a cold chisel & a drift bar had the other guff out pretty easily.
It does appear restrictive, & the disc with the piddly through-flow tubes blocks a real convergent cone effect.

Certainly there is a seat-of-the-pants improvement in rev response, & bonus, they make a deeper, less tinny sound.

I've also put the later separate muffler can RZ 250 pipes on a 350, & they also improved the top end zip, both
before, & more again, after - gutting them too.