BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Yamaha making RDLC tanks

Post by BRG1200 »

Wow.
I'd go to Norbo.
They should have tried to make them more affordable
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Wow, good spot Mark! I didnt know Yam cared what the aftermarket does that much, but obviously i was wrong. I expect that seeing the demand for the new tanks on ebay and in the uk has pushed this.

To be honest the UK tanks weve talked about elsewhere on here are equally as good from what ive seen, but they are not made by Yamaha, that counts for a lot with people... but ouch, $1800.. even adding paint and decals the UK sourced tanks would struggle to cost this, which is great for the budget conscious and of course you have to want the Japanese spec paint and decals on your bike if you go the OEM route.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

That's over double what they used to cost... ouch indeed.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Perhaps some enterprising person in Japan is simply buying the U.K. ones, paint and big mark up, sell as OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

If they really are Yam, try order at your local dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I'm interested...........

............but at that money I would expect the tank, the key fob AND f/f helmet - painted in my colours and posted.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I wonder what leads them to that price, and I'm surprised they've even bothered to be honest.

Is it simply what they think the market will stand?

Is it what it costs them to tool up and stock up with a certain percentage mark-up?

If I were the manufacturer then intuitively I'd err toward finding a price where I could move a lot of units, which I find hard to imagine at $1,800.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

A wee while back the Nippon market had complete RZ bodywork sets - including the tank, ~ that price..
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Wish I'd learned Japanese as a schoolboy, would be fascinating to look into the fads and culture, wonder how big/fanatical their domestic bike scenes are.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

hybrid wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:05 am That's over double what they used to cost... ouch indeed.
...and then some! I remember buying a brand new genuine painted (white with two-tone blue) RD-LC tank from a Yamaha dealer in 1992-93...$250 8O .

I think those Y's Gear tanks have been around for a while (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2153) - perhaps they remake them every so often.
I don't really look for RD-LC stuff, but have encountered a few of those complete "genuine reproduction" body work sets (tank, side covers, seat cowl, mudguard, decals) offered on Yahoo Auctions over the last few years. Perhaps the difference now is that you can order the tank from a Yamaha dealer again... :?:

Regards,
James
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I got one of the last new tanks from Yamaha years ago (although I had no idea they were stopping production at the time) and I think it was around $650.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

I can't see any link to the news coming from Yamaha. All I can find in the article is: Reproduction production at exterior manufacturing department, which leads me to think whoever produces Norbo's tanks has expanded their enterprise, unless one of you eagle eyed folk can see otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Well it does say this (salient bits in bold):

"Yamaha announced that it will reproduce “New Pearl White” of the “RZ 250” gasoline tank that blew out of the world with a two-stroke engine and a lightweight vehicle body at Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. Tank • Exterior Manufacturing Department."

but I agree, I just dont know if its a genuine tank or not. If you cant get it from a Yamaha dealer (or direct from some special hotline at HQ), then its not OEM... and it would make sense for anyone making these to use the copies that have been made as they are very good.

The one thing that it does say a number of times is the word 'reproduction'. In its barest form that means, 'to produce again', it could be said that of further production of the original parts by the original mfr, but it could also be the repro tanks... translations never quite scan right, but maybe thats the issue and this is OEM... maybe not.

One thing is clear that Yamaha did reorganise and did create the department mentioned:
https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/20 ... nel01.html
KMAN

Post by KMAN »

I picked up a brand new lc tank years back

But its painted in the japanese ysp red colour scheme.