RZ250R clip on style bars

Looking for a part?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

RZ250R clip on style bars

Post by BRG1200 »

Hi guys
I’m looking for good condition bars for a fully faired 1985 bike, as the ons on mine have been crashed and repaired (not very well)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: RZ250R clip on style bars

Post by JonW »

D, sadly I sold the good set that i had to Dave on here a while back. Anyway, while that tidbit of info wont help you, do read on...

Firstly, for those who dont know about these bars, the 85s have different bars to the 86-on versions. They are a straight bar welded to the top of a casting, the later ones are plugged into a casting, forming a prettier bar. The 85s were abut 'agricultural' needing a plastic plug in the end lol. Dont worry Yam still sell the plugs lol.

Ok, the useful part of this reply.... How bad are your originals? I ask as LB and I have been buying NOS ones of these 85s with a view to making a jig to weld new steel bars to the old castings. Ive already got a set of really battered bars and some steel to give this a go, so we might be able to help with yours down the track? When might you need them?

For info. This is a F1 bar:

This is the later F2 version
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Yeah. I'd suggest that if you really want to retain the stock clip on mounts..
..then cutting off/boring out the old bars, & fitting a weld on/in replacement bars.. is the go..
..esp' since they are located/bolted in a fixed position - to the top triple clamp..

& 2 points..

1, The stock `85 bars go awfully close to the tank - on full lock..
..so.. they can pin your thumb against the tank.. in certain circumstances.. & cause a.. bad outcome..

2, Given that they are fixed/non-adjustable, you can choose a suitable bar angle - before final welding..

Edit: Has anyone tried a set of equivalent stanchion-tube diameter FZ/SRX clip on bars - on an RZ?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Thanks guys.
Sorry, not on here as much as I was, so a slow reply.
Casting part is apparently fine, bars have been bent/welded and generally battered.
Jon, if you are going to re-do a few sets then count me in, I can send my bars up s and when. Won’t be a rush, I’ve had career bumps this last year, and about to start a new line of work next thursday. Hope that works out and provides stability, decent wages and regular spare time (which have all been lacking recently!)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Intresting differences between 85 bars and 86, wasn’t aware of that.
Was aware of diffs between naked “N1” and F1 bars.

I also have a 29L/34J that is intended to eventually become an N1 replica. Always liked the N1, especially in black.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Well the plan is to do the jig, but it needs to be made and we only have a NOS left (i think) bar at this time, if anyone has the other side do let me know. We will do them OEM 'bend', I know they were flawed with the lock/tank but everyone always wants OEM and not modded when it comes to parts, that said there is a discussion still about thicker bar stock for strength as the OEMs do seem 'bendy'. No idea on time frame or price yet need as we still need to find a steel source and make jigs.

Good luck on the new job D!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Jon,
I can send you one of my bars for reference, on a loan/return basis given they're hard to find of course. Not like I'll be getting onto that project for a while.
Not sure exactly what condition it's in, will go dig it out. PM or text me if it would be helpful.
On the other hand, if it's a direct mirror image of the other side, could you guys reflect the dimensions on some kind of jig?
How do you plan to weld in the little screw threaded handlebar end-weight mounting inside the end of the bar? Looks tricky to me but I'm sure you have the technology!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

D, unless you have a NOS one dont worry, if its just a normal bent one then we have plenty of those of course. :)

Id rather build the jig empirically, but we may have to transpose, we'll see.

Yes thats another of the things we need to work out, another option is to use a solid bar turned down, but that would be heavy.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Just a thought, but could make effectively a thick washer with a threaded internal, then braze, solder or even bond it in. Can't avoid a lathe I suspect.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

yeah, we'll probably weld it, the thread holds the counterweights so will vibrate, it'll need to be strong.
phil1rowe4
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by phil1rowe4 »

Hi guys, I still have some original bars but not sure which type. Maybe F2 style. I'll dig them out and have a look. They wont be in great cond but think they were straight.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Phil, if they’re F1 or N1 then I’m deffo interested! 😄
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

With due respect to Jon being first in the queue