selling parts on ebay - setting reserve?

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

selling parts on ebay - setting reserve?

Post by BRG1200 »

This may be a dumb question but I've always bought bits from ebay but now I'm selling a few bits and bobs.
Went through the process of putting an ad together, could not find an option or tick box to set a reserve.
Seems that ebay may have just revised their "list an item" page, may also be affected by my starting the ad on my phone (that's where the photo's are) then completing the ad on the laptop.

Anyone got any hints, tips or advice?

Selling fees seem pretty steep at 11% too.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: selling parts on ebay - setting reserve?

Post by JonW »

Yes fees are steep. just price stuff at the start as your minimum, no need to pay for a reseRve that way.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Yes, fair point, that’s what I did, only posted one item so far.
So you have to pay to have a reserve? Didn’t even see an option for that. Will start an ad tonight on the laptop rather than iphone and see if it makes any difference.
Jeez, with world dominance of ebay/gumtree small ads that is one hell of a business plan.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I hate reserves with a passion - can't see the reasoning for using them.

I don't know what Ebay offers you but I have 40 freebies, each with 3 repeats, per months (plus other offers periodically).

My process is that I research prices, set a reasonable low end price, use that price as the starting price and use the Buy Now as my 'dream for' price. After that stay patient - let it run 3-4 times and then review/reset the price.

Mostly - I do have variations - there are somethings I want to sell and other item not so much (fatalism - let eBay decide my future)
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Well you used to, same with a BIN. In recent years Ive never used either and only use the free 40 listings. Use the 10 day listing option, with the 3x relisting box checked - which ebay helpfully unchecks for you from time to time on resubmissions, watch that.

Dont forget the ebay fees are also on the postage as well now. So you need to add some money as a fee to cover that our youre out of pocket on post, especially if selling abroad. I list that i charge a fee and people do moan about post prices from time to time, I tell them to come and pick it up and pay cash if they dont want to pay the 'packing' fee.

And then, of course, there is paypal fees on the lot as well. Add on a bit more money in your packing to cover that for postage...

So yeah, no one is joking on postage, ebay is winning, no one else. ie. sell something of over a kg to the USA and its $65 ish for post (you need to track items or sellers just say they never landed!). If ebay grabs only $65 for that post for you, you lose just under $10 in fees...

Oh and to get something that looks like the old listing page, you need to click 'advanced' and then waive the message telling you its going to be harder work. sigh.

HTH D.

Oh and if its bike parts, why not list them here first?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Bloody hell, thats a nasty set of gouging practices right there.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:07 am Bloody hell, thats a nasty set of gouging practices right there.
Welcome to the modern world - although price gouging is nothing new in capitalism - you should read what the 'entitled' upper class did to the poor old Poms in the 19th century. The poor old Poms were reduced to committing crime just to get a free ride to Oz :wink: .

I think the deal when I started with eBay was a listing fee, which you paid sale or no sale, and 2% of final. Now its basically 10% on sale only and 40 freebies. Yeah they have made good money by exploiting their monopoly but I'm not complaining - I have sold shit that I would otherwise take to the grave with me, and for some outstanding prices at times.

eBay has ripped me off with their disputes process ($180 to date) but I have also done well out of them. They had a recent offer of $1 final fee and I sold $4000 worth so I saved $400 in fees - win some lose some.

Despite my losses, eBay's complaint process is far my efficient than either the 'too big to care' inefficient incompetents at NBN or Telstra - a pair of mongrel cun#s.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916