my rz has a fresh donk and a few upgrade

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

my rz has a fresh donk and a few upgrade

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. Been a while since i posted, hope everone is well and riding there bikes.
My 1984 rz clocked over 10'000k's with the engine i built 7 years ago. It was flogged every time i road it and everyone who's ridden it want's to buy it. the engine in it had cylinders ported by karl zegers (tz tuner, pipe builder)and chambers to match, running wossner's at 64.5mm with banshee reeds. . the crank i replaced at 5000'ks when it started howling. at that rebuild i replaced power valve bushes. at 8000k's it started to feel tired and became harder to start. It would still pull a first gear power wheelie and got flogged.
Update 2018 i replaced the motor with one that has been on the bench for a year.
new engine has new hot rods crank, cylinders ported by our good mate link, 65mm bore with wiseco pro lite pistons. All new clutch plates. (fzr1000] and all seals replced etc. update to the intake. now vforce4 reeds, mikuni vm30 carbs, uni pods.
This rebuild was probable the 8th time on a rz engine and the first time i did a leak down test. built the kit for $13. found 3 leaks, power valves, inlet manifold, base gasket to cyilder. took cylinders back of and found a locating dowel was out of shape, filled it round and ended up using yamaha bond 4 on both gaskets. in the end 6psi 6 minutes.

Well the bike rips. best part of power delivery is mid range torque. the bike now floats the front wheel in second gear and yep it is on singing on the pipe between 7800 and 10500.
Iran the bike in with stock 31k cigars, original carbs and air box. it had great low end power and was mx like in throttle responce of idle.
Another valuable tool i bought was a carberretor synchronnizing tool. eldebrock $70. It measures air flow through the bellmouth and can help with adjusting for a lazy cylinder. with this tool you will have your throttle cables within a 1/8th of a turn to spot on and will pick up more mid range and smoothness.
Merry christmas boys and girls.
I will post some vidoe's of the rz soon. https://youtu.be/3SA_AYG_eU4
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: my rz has a fresh donk and a few upgrade

Post by BRG1200 »

Nice summary of your experiences Gman 😁👍
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.