Air cooled RD350 restore

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
Salty55

Air cooled RD350 restore

Post by Salty55 »

Folks I recently bought an 73 RD 350 (250 box with 350 barrels). Unfortunately I got it from a guy who’s flipped it, not the guy who built the motor. Having owned a 73 RD 350 back in 1978 I know how it should run... this one has chambers (was told they were TZ but look more like spec II), stock carbs but appear jetted (170 main) 2nd top clip, 3 OS barrels with wisco pistons (very recent re-bore), looks like a light porting but I know very little about porting. Looks like original reeds (steel?-tight no gaps). Tranny feels tight, no noise.
Here’s the problem, kicks first kick every time, Revs like a Demon in neutral, particularly when it’s kept high in the rev range, but it lacks bottom end underway and seems to peak in speed mid early in revs in each gear. No hope of getting the wheel up. Also slightly richer in left side (can the auto lube be adjusted individually for each carb? Could it just be clutch, although I can’t hear it slipping?
Note it’s unregoed so have not been able to ride more than 150m at a time on my driveway... but it’s enough space to give 1st and 2nd a serve. Yes I need to get it out for a good run.
Keen to get this running right before I strip and rebuild into a custom cafe (too many R5 and modified parts to go original). Any advice welcome, thanks
Also very keen to talk with the original owner (from Brisbane I’m told)
Salty55

Re: Air cooled RD350 restore

Post by Salty55 »

Added a pic in case someone knows the original owner