An interesting happened on the way to work

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

An interesting happened on the way to work

Post by pkay »

Well not really - I was riding my RD250LC to work when it started to cut out, particularly under load. Still got me to work and home with some light touch on the throttle. Checked the fuel, OK; checked the plugs, OK - put new plugs in to be sure - still there. I had previously replaced the ignition coils so wasn't going to be the issue. Air filter all good. Then I realised I am still running the original CDI so it's time is probably up. Have bought an aftermarket replacement so see if that fixes it and if not then I guess I'll be back to the drawing board with 2 CDI's..........
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: An interesting happened on the way to work

Post by Ozhammer »

I have a similar issue, which turned out to be the ignition stator source coils
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Ozhammer wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:17 pm I have a similar issue, which turned out to be the ignition stator source coils
Is that the item also known as the pulse coil?
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

I think so, there is a testing procedure in the manual and although my bike still ran, the readings were all out of spec. The replacement arrived this morning, so I will hopefully be fitting it at the weekend.

Let me know if you need the procedure and I can send it to you.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Problem with pulse coils is that generally you're only testing continuity not function. Only way is to replace them from experience (I have been regaling people on my facebook site Brisbane Classic Motorcycle Collection with the ignition issue I have been having with a CBR1000F. Coils, leads, CDI, a lot of frggin' continuity and resistance testing and now down to pulse coil). I have the book so be interested to see how you get on. If the CDI replacement doesn't work I'll have a spare so not too worried about that.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Just in case where did you source the replacements?
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

I got mine from someone on another discussion group and I know he has another one available, so give me a shout if you find you need it.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

So I finally got around to sticking in the new CDI. Wow what a difference - started second kick after 3 months of no use and ran very crisp and clean. No sign of the issues that came up in November. I'll take that as case closed for the time being. Although it would be good if the CDI maker could work out the correct difference between the mounting holes....... Nothing I couldn't fix with the drill, just annoying.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Glad you got it sorted pkay, I still haven’t managed to fit my new stator due to work and family commitments. It’s now on my New Year’s resolution list!
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Glad you got it sorted pkay, I still haven’t managed to fit my new stator due to work and family commitments. It’s now on my New Year’s resolution list!