RZ Tanks From India

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
smokin074
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

RZ Tanks From India

Post by smokin074 »

On Facebook page . Yamaha RD / RZ Hybrid Australia , there is a short video showing how bad these India RZ tanks are , just rubbish , have a look & it will put this topic to bed, Just Dont Buy RZ tanks made in India
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RZ Tanks From India

Post by Ozhammer »

That situation also goes for LC tanks, they look ok but do not fit properly, so are a waste of money.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Same goes for any 'classic' repros from India, buyer beware.

I've seen a Norton tank that hadn't even been leak-tested,
& turned out to be riddled by pin-holes from crappy welding, too.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

If anyone needs tank work done no matter how bad the tank is, there's a bloke on the mustang forum who helped me a lot with my car. He also does a lot of work on bikes, including repairing bad old tanks. He's also a great bloke as an added bonus.

You can see some of his tank work here:
https://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/v ... tml#134743
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Ted

Post by Ted »

What is the price people are prepared to pay for a rust free original tank that just needs a coat of jam...?
Just putting it out there...
Considering breaking up my bikes if they don't sell complete.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Tell us a bit about your bikes, seems a shame to break them
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

He's got an ad in the sales section D. Bikes are in Tassie. I think thats the problem, as shipping to most of us in the rest of Aus is crazy money. Same issue with parts of course. I'd love a clean RZ OEM tank but I would think the post to Sydney would hamper the deal as tanks have to go surface and are in a big box.

Ok to prices. If you really want to get the most for one then ebay it. You'll pay 13-15% in fees (on sale price and post) and will get hassled by the buyer if its not perfect and maybe get it sent back. Selling on the forum means a more measured approach from a buyer as they know what theyre looking at. Ie. A tank would need to be beautiful to command more than a few hundy once you consider that most of us are doing restos so anything with even lovely aftermarket paint would need to be redone etc. We should also remember that these tanks have all had a few lives now, so even if they look nice and have been repainted they could be full of filler and / or thin in the usual places. Anyone who's worked on or around these bikes for a bit knows that even nice tanks can turn into colanders quickly, especially when you send them for dipping prior to painting, and then they are worse than useless money pits. Spend a few hundred on a tank, $150 to dip it and then find youve spent all that money on something irreparable, tho it looked nice when you started. hmm... no thanks. Even with a few small holes it'll need a liner and of course, those few holes are the tip of the iceberg of the 'thin bits' where the tank is rusted in larger areas its just thats the bit that has gone thru. expect a short life if just thinking 'its just a few small holes and i can fix them and ive a clean tank...'

If Ted is serious he should put up some pics for his ad, that would help his sale of bikes and / or parts. I'll say right now that I AM interested in nice tanks that are not holed or money pits but only 'at the right price' once they are in my hands. Like most of us here Im not going to splurge mega money on sight unseen (ie not held in my hand and viewed with an endoscpe) tanks, thats foolish for newbies and plain stupid for anyone who restores these bikes etc.