Gotta get the old RZ500 back on the road!

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
RZ_Smokey

Gotta get the old RZ500 back on the road!

Post by RZ_Smokey »

Hi all, I will do a newbie post when I have pictures but wanted to break the ice.
I bought this RZ500 in Canberra 20 years ago and rode it daily. It was my second - the first was a basket case which was stripped for a still incomplete project. I had been coveting one for years and was a member of the rdrz500.com group back when Wyn was building his titanium beast - fantastic early inspiration.
So my bike hasn't really been run for ages and I haven't even kicked it over for 6 years. I believe I cooked the stator as a starting point at that stage. It was completely original including cracked bodywork which is what what stopped me riding it all the time.
Looking for someone in SEQ who is interested in working with me to bring this one back to the road. Is there anyone still around who knows enough about these bikes?
Any and all help appreciated!
Sean
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Gotta get the old RZ500 back on the road!

Post by OzzyElsie »

Sorry I can't help but the best of luck anyway. RZ500 are few and far between, it will be worth the effort. ciao
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
RZ_Smokey

Post by RZ_Smokey »

Thanks Jon.

Dudley eh? I have no idea who that is! 😁

Sean
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

RZ_Smokey wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:50 pm Thanks Jon.

Dudley eh? I have no idea who that is! 😁

Sean
Haha, sorry Sean, here ya go:

http://www.dudleysperformance.com/
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

A belated welcome to the forum Sean and great to hear that another one of these iconic machines is being resurrected.

Whilst it won’t be a cheap exercise that prices of 500’s have gone ballistic, so you should have plenty of headroom and I am sure that there are more than a few of us who are wishing we had also bought one 20 years ago!