Salt Two Stroke

Topics regarding other 2Stroke bikes, Customs etc
Lowflying
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Salt Two Stroke

Post by Lowflying »

I started talking about my new custom on “introductions”. You can Google “Salt Two Stroke” to see their website and what I’m talking about.

I took delivery 22nd February and have been waiting :roll: for dry roads to give it a test spin. Finally today it was dry for a while so I took it out for a quick blast.

Well! First impressions: AWESOME! :D :Clap:

My frame of reference was my ‘85 RZ 350 with a 400 stroker crank. When everything was right that thing could hit it hard, as you guys know. But it was an old bike and needed a lot of TLC which is normal of course but I’m not big into wrenching, although I will do the odd bit if needed. Bottom line is I sold it a few years ago because I wasn’t getting enough fun out of it for the effort I had to put into it. NOT a judgement of the bike, but it’s where I was at.

This thing is what I have been waiting for. It seems to do it all. Suspension, brakes, TPI, electric start, Rekluse clutch (weird at first but it starts to make sense the more you ride it), nice custom bits everywhere you look including beautiful paint. It’s all based on a ‘22 KTM 300 EXC TPI so it’s all new and it all works. I didn’t give it a lot throttle out of respect for break in and my unfamiliarity but I think this bike can charge pretty hard. It weighs 110 kgs dry which I think is about 30 kgs less than the RZ and it makes 50 something ponies with the Two Stroke Performance head so it all adds up to serious fun. The exhaust sounds amazing. Maybe too amazing - I’m going to have to have my fun on the back roads. :wink:

It’s definitely a “chequebook special” but I’m in a good position right now, kids long gone, etc. Kudos to all you guys who keep up the old strokers, but if you ever want to come to the Dark Side…

https://imgur.com/a/0xtb71w
If people quit riding after a crash, there'd be nobody left riding!
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Salt Two Stroke

Post by Ozhammer »

It’s great that we can buy a new two stroke bike in this sanitised age and looking forward to hearing more about it as you get through the running in phase.
Lowflying
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Lowflying »

Ozhammer wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:22 pm It’s great that we can buy a new two stroke bike in this sanitised age and looking forward to hearing more about it as you get through the running in phase.
Ya. That’s what did it for me. I was over the old bikes with old electrics, etc. Not a problem for those who really want to get stuck into the wrenching because the old strokers are mostly simple machines, although parts scarcity can be an issue. I wanted to be lazy and buy an up to the minute two stroke, and I seriously doubted it would ever happen. But then KTM and their TPI bikes have come along and made it all possible for the Salt guys to come up with a custom bike based on new everything with up to date tech. I mean, electric start, I’m almost embarrassed. :roll: Every time I get on the bike and push the button and it starts right away I’m amazed and really appreciative. :Clap: I remember kicking my old RZ - sometimes I thought I was going to have a heart attack!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I have no issue with having an electric foot on a bike, its all good.

I will say tho that your RZ had an issue, maybe down on compression or a carb issue, as the RZ is a really easy bike to start and usually fires up quickly. Any more than a few kicks and its broken somewhere... Ive never had one thats been hard to start and Ive had one or two lol.
Lowflying
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Lowflying »

JonW wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:18 pm I have no issue with having an electric foot on a bike, its all good.

I will say tho that your RZ had an issue, maybe down on compression or a carb issue, as the RZ is a really easy bike to start and usually fires up quickly. Any more than a few kicks and its broken somewhere... Ive never had one thats been hard to start and Ive had one or two lol.
Oh well. That’s history now. I’m sure your advice is good but I’m not looking back.

Gave it a good flogging today. Man it really pulls. It has a Two Stroke Performance head and ecu reflash. Smooth power everywhere and the Rekluse clutch ensures you’re always going to get good response when you twist the throttle. No clutch feathering needed off the line or at roundabouts or slow corners. No bogging. You simply cannot stall it.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

sounds like its working out well for you. Are you running it in or riding like you stole it? I cant remember what KTMs advice on new bikes was in the old days, but think it was to just ride it and enjoy it :)
Lowflying
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Lowflying »

I think the KTM manual says 70% power or throttle for the first three hours then Bob’s your uncle. I have been progressively giving it more throttle each ride. Last time out I didn’t twist it to the stop but I did rev it out to about 8500 rpm. It’s got some grunt! I’ve got almost 150 km’s on the clock now so next time I think I won’t hold back!

Along with the Two Stroke Performance head the ECU has also been reflashed to take advantage of the extra compression. I don’t know how stock would feel. All I can say is I’m loving it!

Im now wondering about super-motoing a stock KTM EXC TPI 300. Maybe as simple as wheels and tires? Or would the enduro suspension settings be all wrong for the road? I guess that’s not too hard to get done, just $$$.

Anyone with thoughts on that?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I am a huge motard fan, Ive had a few and KTMs are my fave. Ive motarded my XT500 with KTM parts if you recall.

You can SM a dirt bike and it will work but the suspension and geo isnt perfect, but it does work and you can have a lot of fun on the road. It will be likely be loud and obnoxious tho, tho thats how SMs should be :)
Lowflying
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Lowflying »

Update. Ridden a lot more. This thing seems to do it all. The light weight makes it all easy, cornering, braking and does it ever rip when you give it the berries. I’ve revved it to about 10 grand and a bit where it just seems to stop revving. Motor very smooth through the rev range. Between 4 and 10 grand is where it all happens. Pipe makes amazing sounds. I’ve already had to clutch it in and idle past the fuzz as I think the exhaust is a bit on the “fruity” side!

So far I don’t see any downsides, other than the assault on the wallet. But, as I’ve read someone else say, “if I had all the money I’ve spent on motorcycles, I’d spend it on motorcycles!”. 😉