2T newbie

Looking for a Stroker?
Ryan

2T newbie

Post by Ryan »

Hi all I'm thinking of getting a 2t, I've never owned one before, so try to excuse the ignorance.

Goal is weekday commuting and weekends heading out to some acreage or forestry nothing serious tho.

Starting budget is about $3000, I know, I know you get what you pay for and I expect there will be work to do. I have a mechanical background so am not afraid of a partial resto and/or engine rebuild.

Sometimes I commute two up with the Mrs on the back, am I dreaming that I could do this with 2t a tralie?

The only 2t two seater's I've seen lately are Yamaha DT200's and DT230's, having a look around seems like there are bits available for them at reasonable prices.

If two up is a pipe dream then I was thinking CRM250AR or KTM???

Any suggestions?
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: 2T newbie

Post by Jeram »

CRM250AR can go two up... some of the bikes have pillion pegs from factory...

but all bikes have the mounting points for the pillion pegs, all you have to do is buy the crm pillion pegs from leisure trail in the UK. shouldnt cost too much at all :)

you wont be disapointed with the CRM, they are a good bike.

if your not mechanically minded, make sure you get one that is clean, tidy and recently fully rebuilt/serviced...
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks Jeram,

I think I just need to bite the bullet and spend the cash.

The last CRM I saw for sale ($3000) in QLD pretty much needed an engine rebuild, definitely fork seals and probably some bearings somewhere (I think you know the story).

The owner wouldn't take anything less $3000 so I thought I'd keep looking around QLD, otherwise I'll need to get something from interstate.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/r ... ds=&Nne=15

I've been following your CRM build and am keen to see how the engine turns out. From memory I think you were using some CR parts which sounds interesting.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

The DT is mor commuter based and can be a capable weekend trail bike CRM is a fraction more racy. DT would be better for the Mrs, both bikes have 6 speed boxes which is helpful if your going to do road miles. DT has a oil pump. Don't think the CRM has a pump, CRM engine rebuilds are 'interesting to say the least, swapping to CR parts moves away from the specific CRM parts to parts more readily available. DT has no such problems.
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

good point lozza.. CRM parts are a bitch!

PS: dont buy a CRM for anything over 2k unless its really tidy.

lozza whats the suzuki RMZ250 like?
I think that bike is very similar to the RM so parts arent so much of any issue either.

yeah...
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

"PS: dont buy a CRM for anything over 2k unless its really tidy."

My wallet was thinking along those lines. Because of the age of the bikes and the budget, I'm expecting hidden surprises unless the bike has a history.

I've been trying to decide between time intensive project or getting my 2t eye in, on something cheap, cheery and available like the DT.

"lozza whats the suzuki RMZ250 like?
I think that bike is very similar to the RM so parts arent so much of any issue either."

I don't know a lot about the alternatives, I think there is the RMX250, YZ250WR, KDX200R, not sure if any KTM's are in my budget.
I haven't researched these very much yet.
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

yeah sorry... RMX...

RMZ is a tractor :P

yeah...
huh?...
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

THIS COULD BE WORTH A LOOK

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1998-Suzuki- ... 500wt_1156

much cheaper than the CRM in similar condition.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-CRM-25 ... 500wt_1156

yeah...
huh?...
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

RMX has a 5 speed but otherwise a very capable dirt/ride to work bike. Has a big tank which is very handy