1971 CS3E Right side muffler

Looking for a part?
garyclem

1971 CS3E Right side muffler

Post by garyclem »

Hi I'm new to the forum and have recently started bringing a CS3E back to life. This model was my very first bike back in 1971 when I was 17 and earning $18 a week as an apprentice 8O ....... then I bought it brand new from a dealer in Blacktown for $399.00 ride away 8O 8O .

Over 40 years later, I'm on the look out for a right side muffler, the type with the removable baffle and suitable for restoration ......... they seem to be pretty thin on the ground (non existent). There appear to be plenty of the sealed baffle type available (on ebay) ............ but not what I am after 'cause that is what I have now and they are blocked. Unbelievably :o , I did manage to get a NOS left side here in Australia, but no luck with the right in any condition :?: .
Metallic Purple (of course) 1971 Yamaha CS3E
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: 1971 CS3E Right side muffler

Post by EPApolice »

Is this what your looking for
Attachments
sydney-20130501-00841.jpg
(108.99 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

If it is its in almost perfect condition and that's a miracle because you should have seen the bike it came off.
garyclem

Post by garyclem »

many thanks EPApolice, wow, that certainly looks like a left side CS3 muffler in great condition, but I need a right side, do you have the matching right side as well ???? kind regards
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I picked up the wrong one, I do have the other side but its rotten at the header.
garyclem

Post by garyclem »

OK, many thanks, do you mean the header is stuffed or do you mean where the muffler joins the header is no good? ............ any chance of a photo when you get a minute ? I appreciate your time ........... thanks again
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I just had a better look at it and its pretty bad. Its rusted through at least half way which you could get away with by cutting along the original welded seam and joining the two halfs together presuming you have a good front section. But there is also some rotten sections underneath about 10c coin size. Its a shame because the pipe itself is straight but all of these holes can be repaired it just depends how keen you are and if you are handy with the welding gear. If you want it its yours, I'm in Sydney also.
Attachments
sydney-20130502-00843.jpg
(103.02 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
garyclem

Post by garyclem »

well, you weren't kidding when you said it was pretty bad ........... I think it is beyond me, unfortunately. I certainly do appreciate your time, many thanks