RGV250 Clutch and Electrics

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RGV250 Clutch and Electrics

Post by pkay »

Couple of questions which I'd like to get some expert opinions on.

1. Replaced the clutch cable today on the RGV250 but the clutch does not want to disengage, that is with the bike in gear when I pull the clutch in the bike is still in gear. Any suggestions why? I have adjusted the clutch cable tension. The bike has been standing for a while.

2. When the bike runs, the idle speed hunts up and down until I turn on the lights - then it settles nicely. Seems strange - any ideas?

Any suggestions on solutions appreciated.

Thanks for the help
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: RGV250 Clutch and Electrics

Post by 2TInstitute »

Sounds like the plates are stuck together, and leave the lights on ;)
fred99999au
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by fred99999au »

Did the clutch work before you changed the cable? If so, why did you change the cable?

the hunting thing could be a battery or voltage regulator thing, maybe check the battery voltage with the lights off then on.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Naaa the clutch didn't work before and was out of adjustment at both ends so the cable was the obvious first start point. I suspect it will be stuck plates. Given it has been sitting for a while I think I will get them out and give them a check over anyway - not a long job (except for dicking around with the fairing).

The battery is stuffed in the bike but you would think logically if the lights are on it would go the other way. Maybe I'll just replace the battery first then see how it goes.

I'll need a set of tyres too so any advice on what people run on thier RGV's (for street use) would be great.