My old twostroke DKW

Topics regarding other 2Stroke bikes, Customs etc
graham
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

My old twostroke DKW

Post by graham »

I thought you might enjoy a look at a old bike of mine that has been consuming a bit of my time......its really rockinghorse shit rare, the only one in the southern hemisphere, and one of only a dozen or so in the world....and its the great grandfather of all modern twostrokes.

A 1937 DKW 500 Sport

enjoy.....Graham

EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: My old twostroke DKW

Post by EPApolice »

I like it
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

whats it like trying to find parts? :)

what sort of build are you going for?

-keeping it rusty and original
-restore including paint but all Original parts
-restore with custom made parts

Looks very nice, I cant beleive that it has an expansion chamber, I didnt think the were invented untill the 40's?
and liquid cooled! very high tech!
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
graham
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by graham »

Parts...... well they were available pre ww2, then the factory suffered quite a few bombs, then the allies stripped the factory and built DKW copies all around the world in the 50's & 60's....BSA Bantam and Jawa twostrokes being the most volume......and the Yamaha YA1 being another.

You make parts or adapt others......My crank is mainly RZ, clutch & primary drive Honda etc....etc.

I will put up a couple more pics, one showing a 1936 model....mine has a later frame, engine top end is slightly different, and one showing an earlier model in production racer trim......yes they sold them 40 years before Yamaha got the Idea.

Mine will look mostly like the earlier production racer.

Pre war, a Dr Schnurle was the DKW engine designer....he developed the Schnurle loop system of transfer port design that is still used today.

Post war the DKW factory ended up in the East German side of the country and was renamed MZ.....which were designed by a Dr Kaaden.....who developed the expansion chamber and when their works rider defected to the west with a box of bits(he only needed to finish in the top 3 in the last race to win the 125cc world champs), he rode for Suzuki with an exact clone of the MZ design.

So the chambers on mine are not as fitted in 1937, but I think they may just look in "keeping" with the bike.

Its a real fun project....

Graham
graham
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by graham »

the 1936 sport in road trim

The 1932-35 production racer:
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Ahhhhhh the Degner defection................
'Stealing Speed' covers it best ...............but after Ernst Degner(that's where the corner at Suzuka gets it's name) rode off into a van at Imatra in Finland he had 1 or 2 GP's to win for Suzuki (after the defection) but strangely his bike went missing enroute to Argentina. Another odd post script was Degner committed suicide by apparently cutting his own throat !

Nice bike love to have a ride on a hand shift to see how hard it is.

Another good David and Goliath story is Kim Newcombe and the Koenig
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

The Stasi got Degner for sure. Whats not commonly known and only acknowledged in passing in the book is the horrendous punishment the whole MZ Team and their families received after the defection. The Stasi thought the whole team was in on it or at best were slack to let it happen. They were most upset.