RD250LC

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
Dempsie

Re: RD250LC

Post by Dempsie »

Just wondering has anyone else had issues trying to get the bottom and top bearings races out of the head stem? there's no lip to sit the drift on to knock them out, anyone got any ideas?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

yeah it happens. usually you can find a lip somewhere, and any good mechanic should have ground a little of the frame back before installing cups that have no lip, but if not you may need to either weld a bar or some blobs on the race, that heat can help get it out if not hit the weld. Its gutting when people do this :/
fred99999au
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by fred99999au »

A mate of mine just recently did his steering head bearings on his KDX250 and all he did was hit the faces of the old cups with a MIG and run a few beads and they fell out when they cooled.

I usually weld a bit of crap over mine and then use a long drift, but I might try the other way next time.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah it's a bitch of a job. Mine was a long time ago, but I'm sure I managed to get just a bit of purchase on the bearings by going in through the opposite end of the head stock. After a bit of messing about, it was enough to get them to move and come out.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ive always managed to find the meerest of lip from the b-side and used that like you Jeff, but ive heard welding is the way otherwise.
Dempsie

Post by Dempsie »

thanks guys, there was no lip at all to catch the drift on, couldn't make them move at all.

I don't trust myself welding either so I dropped the frame to Lloyd Penn in Artarmon, the guys there got them out for me for $50.
Dempsie

Post by Dempsie »

Hey guys, i've been overseas the last month so been a while since i've posted, i've just installed the bearings in my wheels and i've found that the spacer inside the back wheel is loose inside the hub, i'm guessing it shouldn't be that way?

the front wheel is fine, the spacer doesn't move around at all.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Shouldn't be loose no. Are the bearings in all the way?
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Dempsie

Post by Dempsie »

yeah the bearings are all the way in, I checked the Haines and I think I'm missing the right side flange spacer, anyone know where I can get one of these?
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Lloyd Penn must be looking old these days, all the couriers, me included, in Sydney used to use him in the 90's. Good workshop.