Crafting a kr250a1 motor into a dirtbike frame ???

Topics regarding Kawasaki 2Strokes
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Re: Crafting a kr250a1 motor into a dirtbike frame ???

Post by azwood80 »

Has anybody got any idear what jets a kr runs i have 1,45 mains but it feels like it may need to go bigger it seems like its leaning out at wot but nice up antill then
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

My 500 shifts that way. Most race bikes also shift that way.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

hybrid wrote:My 500 shifts that way. Most race bikes also shift that way.
Attachments
I think the kr shifts normal because the shifter is faceing backwards but becaust mine faces forward it naw shifts wrong
I think the kr shifts normal because the shifter is faceing backwards but becaust mine faces forward it naw shifts wrong
sc20140106-210328.png (160.9 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

The KR runs a 137.5 main jet but I would suggest your pipe is going to be a major problem. Just because it fits in the space on the bike doesn't mean its going to work right. I see a huge meltdown coming up.
fred99999au
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by fred99999au »

Wasn't that they way to define the perfect 2 stroke pipe? Once it is the right dimensions and size it cannot possibly fit the chassis or if it does, the bike wont move or lean?
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

its a bit hard to see in the video, but it seems that you've moved the stinger offtake from the end of the pipe, to the belly section.

This should work fine, but one thing you will need to do as a minimum is you will need to cut the end off the pipe where it has the blunt end, fabricate a cone section of the correct dimensions and weld it on
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I couldn't work out how the pipe was done.. my head was about to explode, so I gave up.

As you say Jeram - stinger out the belly is fine, but the end cone is still required.. otherwise you might as well have a straight through pipe really. I guess the belly and stinger will provide some back pressure, but no real return wave without the end cone.
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

fred99999au wrote:Wasn't that they way to define the perfect 2 stroke pipe? Once it is the right dimensions and size it cannot possibly fit the chassis or if it does, the bike wont move or lean?
Attachments
Here they are
Here they are
2014-01-03 11.13.05-1.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

The stingers were added later they were 24mm id and about 500mm each to the muffler whitch is a single unit with twinn pipes all the way threw. I dont think the shape is that bad realy ossa makes a 300cc enduro with the pipe the same way thats where i got the idear
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

EPApolice wrote:The KR runs a 137.5 main jet but I would suggest your pipe is going to be a major problem. Just because it fits in the space on the bike doesn't mean its going to work right. I see a huge meltdown coming up.
Attachments
The ossa pipe
The ossa pipe
sc20131120-175630-1.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

I undersatnd how a pipe works and i know that you cant just guess what size to make thats why i used a pipe calculator and studyd what sort of pipes worked on the kr,s but i still know that there is a lot of complex math behind a good pipe and dont say i am a exbert at this at all
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

That sharp bend straight out of the exhaust port is not going to be great.

I think I remember lozza mentioning that a nice straight section out of the exhaust port is ideal. I applaud you for having a go though.. I'm all about it.
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

hybrid wrote:That sharp bend straight out of the exhaust port is not going to be great.

I think I remember lozza mentioning that a nice straight section out of the exhaust port is ideal. I applaud you for having a go though.. I'm all about it.
i see what your saying with the straight section working best.but sometimes we need to compromise between funtion and form thanks for helping keep me motorvated with the project and advice :lol:
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

Today i decided to have anouther look at the carbs the front one has still been flooding hwen i start the bike.here is what i found 1 old line had crap in it 2 float hights were set at 20mm not 23 and the float in the suspect carb was slightly bent so i fixed all that and will get some nice new lines tomorrow.also the low jets are 35,s and mains are 1.40 front and 1.45 rear carb i have heard of people makeing the back richer because it sees more heat i think it might be a little better after fixing all that.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Interesting what you find in old engines, who knows the level of understanding any DPO ever had, but its usually close on zilch LOL!