1981 350LC

Looking for a Stroker?
SP885
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

1981 350LC

Post by SP885 »

Hi Guys

Been looking around for a while for a nice original 5E0 350LC, but there doesn't seem to be anything around, was watching one which looked very nice on bike sales.com.au in Victoria just recently which was going for 12k, with only 7,500 original km's on it, not sure if it sold though, also not sure on that price, like anything I suppose it will sell for what someone wants to pay

I am originally from the UK and was there last year for a holiday, there always seems to be plenty of LC's for sale, you can get an immaculate restored matching numbers 4L0 model for around the equivalent of $8,000

Don't know where all the Australian LC's have gone, there were always plenty around back in the day

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Steve
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: 1981 350LC

Post by OzzyElsie »

Steve, welcome aboard.

You pose some interesting questions; how many LC's were around 'back in the day' and how many survived?

I'm not certain on either questions. But a lot have survived, hence this forum. A lot were trashed. crashed, crushed and recycled (they were a Learner's Go Fast Bike after all ;) ). A lot have been hoarded and cannibalized by post classic racers as a 'spare parts bin'. A lot have been the basis for cafe racer - customs.

A few have been resto'd but emended, a few have been resto'd to OEM original and a few have been bought new and stored as investments.

They are all 'out there'. I think a good proportion of them have survived, probably better than the average for the period. I think Ebay and Gumtree give the best potential for reasonable prices.

Other site like Bike Sales are really 'trying it on', waiting for the sucker to sail past. I think your 12k LC owner is 'trying it on'. Having said that the Bike Sales price might be just the Wish Price or starting point and I expect you would be able negotiate down or wear them down (over time) to a reasonable price or even a bargain.

Be patient. I don't think the LC was quite as popular in Oz as it appears to have been in the UK. And the absolute size of the market is/was smaller but the LC of your choice is 'out there'. The prices are elevated compared to XS and CB 250/400's of the period :rotfl: but there are also better deals than you quoted.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I was under the impression that most of the bikes here were 250s and a lot less 350s were around back in the day.
The bikes are still out there but matching numbers might be hard but if you are willing to shell out 12k then you should have no problem finding a seller.
SP885
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by SP885 »

Thanks for the prompt replies guys, I wasn't looking to shell out 12k, to be honest I thought it was way over the top, but I haven't seen anything in good original condition like that bike that I can compare prices with, that's why I was using UK bikes as a price guide

There was one on gumtree a while ago in Adelaide, it was originally a 250, but has had a 350 top end etc fitted, it was rough too, and asking price was $6,500

Went to the Classic and Enthusiasts Motorcycle Club Show at Engadine last weekend, as it's only up the road from me, and not one LC there, a couple of nice older air cooled RD's

Will keep looking ;)
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Old Gold Motorcycles have one coming up for sale. A Mars bar colour 250, it was there last week and looked tidy although I didn't really look at it too close. 02 4574 2885.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

LCs are commanding silly money these days, but occasionally you find a runner for a good price, but mint ones will always be expensive... Bear in mind that most have now found collections or at least people who arent thinking of selling, so even parts bikes are few and far between.

I love my LC, but its far from standard, and I love it even more for that LOL
SP885
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by SP885 »

EPApolice wrote:Old Gold Motorcycles have one coming up for sale. A Mars bar colour 250, it was there last week and looked tidy although I didn't really look at it too close. 02 4574 2885.
Thanks for the info, I have never seen the Mars Bar colour combination here before, but I'm really after a white and blue 350
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

That bike is now on ebay. looks tatty but all there. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-RD250 ... 1065679206
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

The scene was/is nowhere near as big out here as the UK.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Blimey those pics of that black 250 would look like a pile of junk to anyone who didnt know LCs. I would have thought a bit of time spent ordering the parts and laying them out and putting them back on a bit better would have netted a better profit for Old Gold to be honest, but it is what it is I guess. It is worth that sort of money, but...

Surprised you didnt know there was a mars bar version SP, they were all the rage in some circles, tho I think white was the most popular.

Small scene = less bikes on a bike that was only around for 3 years anyway, makes parts hard to find here. Always buy one with all the hard to find parts... uncut rear guards, coil cover, tool tray, working clocks, decent tank etc.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

SP, what exactly are you looking for ???
I might happen to know where a matching numbers is, but it may not be the prettiest. eg you'll have work to do...
SP885
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by SP885 »

JonW wrote:Blimey those pics of that black 250 would look like a pile of junk to anyone who didnt know LCs. I would have thought a bit of time spent ordering the parts and laying them out and putting them back on a bit better would have netted a better profit for Old Gold to be honest, but it is what it is I guess. It is worth that sort of money, but...

Surprised you didnt know there was a mars bar version SP, they were all the rage in some circles, tho I think white was the most popular.

Small scene = less bikes on a bike that was only around for 3 years anyway, makes parts hard to find here. Always buy one with all the hard to find parts... uncut rear guards, coil cover, tool tray, working clocks, decent tank etc.
I knew about the mars bar version Jon, seen a lot of them for sale in the UK, but have never seen one here in Oz, only the white and blue for the 350 and white and red for the 250
SP885
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by SP885 »

DOC03 wrote:SP, what exactly are you looking for ???
I might happen to know where a matching numbers is, but it may not be the prettiest. eg you'll have work to do...
Thanks Doc, but I am looking for a nice tidy example that I don't have to do any work to, I have a lead to follow up this weekend, will see how I get on
SP885
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by SP885 »

DOC03 wrote:SP, what exactly are you looking for ???
Thanks Doc, but I am looking for a nice tidy example that I don't have to do any work to, I have a lead to follow up this weekend, will see how I get on
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »