looking for TZR250 3MA

Looking for a Stroker?
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: looking for TZR250 3MA

Post by Richie_rich »

EPApolice wrote:Mine runs well enough Richie but like all 3MA's its a compromise. I always had a problem getting mine to start but I got my hands on some chambers off a race bike before it got sold, sorry Jools and fitted them and went through the carbs and went up on the mains. It turned out I didn't need to touch the mains as its now too rich. The bike is a bit more responsive down low with the chambers and sounds a bit sweeter but really not worth the hassle. Having said that I have not touched the airbox or done any other mods to it.
Looking good mate! I can't recall, but did you buy one of those fairing sets from overseas? Interesting comments about the pipes, such a pity they're a finicky beast.
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

pkay wrote:Can I ask an ignorant question. I love TZR's and would like to get my hands on one as well. When you refer to 3MA is that a particular model or what those in the know call this model? I tried to buy one off a guy on Gumtree some tme ago but missed it my a couple of days. There has been one on the trader website for ages - haven't followed it up but was curious on the labels.
Cheers
As Pat said 3MA refers to the model designation assigned by Yamaha to the reverse cylinder TZR. It's just easier to use when describing your bike than saying 'a reverse cylinder TZR 250'

The first model TZR250 is referred to as 2MA or 1KT (depending on what market they were built for). There's also the 3XV which is the last TZR, which is a V-twin. Confusing eh?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Just to recap and extend that helpful comment, all Yamaha's have a model code which is also the first three digits of the frame and engine numbers. These can also vary between global markets even if the machines are identical. In Australia the model designation for an RD 350LC is 5E0, in UK and Europe the same bike is 4L0. Early TZR 250 is 2MA, RD400 of certain year is 1A1 etc etc
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
jools58
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by jools58 »

Its the way to identify them correctly. If you just say TZR250, those in the know will reply "which one - 2MA, 1KT, 1XT, 3MA, 3XV, 2MY............."

Then there are the SP's, SPR's, SUGO's :lol:

I though Old Gold had one coming in on the next shipment??
I saw the photo - maybe its spoken for already.

There was also a parts bike in the shipment
One day lad all this will be yours............
peterbike

Post by peterbike »

Hi guys, I have a 3MA that I will be selling in the near future.
It is the black/red one just like EPA's one, although not as tidy.
I stripped it down to do a rebuild and it now must be re-assembled.
The engine and carbs have been bead blasted, have scored a set of usd forks from an SP model.
But am short of time at the moment ( all of my spare time is going into sorting my 3XV SP ) but when that is done I will get onto the 3MA.
Have finally realised that I have too many bikes, so some have to go.
I am thinking maybe reassembled late january , so if you are not in a hurry I may be able to help you. I am in melbourne.

Peter
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

3XV SP? Pretty :-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BirdD

Post by BirdD »

peterbike wrote:Hi guys, I have a 3MA that I will be selling in the near future.
It is the black/red one just like EPA's one, although not as tidy.
I stripped it down to do a rebuild and it now must be re-assembled.
The engine and carbs have been bead blasted, have scored a set of usd forks from an SP model.
But am short of time at the moment ( all of my spare time is going into sorting my 3XV SP ) but when that is done I will get onto the 3MA.
Have finally realised that I have too many bikes, so some have to go.
I am thinking maybe reassembled late january , so if you are not in a hurry I may be able to help you. I am in melbourne.

Peter
Hey Peter, that will be awesome! I love to see how work effort you put into a bike that you're gonna sell.
BirdD

Post by BirdD »

jools58 wrote:Its the way to identify them correctly. If you just say TZR250, those in the know will reply "which one - 2MA, 1KT, 1XT, 3MA, 3XV, 2MY............."

Then there are the SP's, SPR's, SUGO's :lol:

I though Old Gold had one coming in on the next shipment??
I saw the photo - maybe its spoken for already.

There was also a parts bike in the shipment
I'm pretty sure there is only one type of 3MA. If we're talking about TZR250 in general, the SP's, SPR's and SUGO's will be included. maybe not with the 3MA. Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm still learning.
I've talked to old gold. They do have TZR250 coming in but the 3MA is in street fighter style.
I'm not too sure about the parts bike.
Last edited by BirdD on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

There are a few types of 3MAs and the nicest one being the last model in Cyan green colour. The 3XV SP is a nice bike alright but is a little cramped if your tall. The 3MA has more room but the 3XV handles like its on rails.
BirdD

Post by BirdD »

EPApolice wrote:There are a few types of 3MAs and the nicest one being the last model in Cyan green colour. The 3XV SP is a nice bike alright but is a little cramped if your tall. The 3MA has more room but the 3XV handles like its on rails.
Beside the colour difference, is there any difference in the bike itself? is the very last model of 3MA produced in 1989?
DuncanB
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by DuncanB »

Bloody beautiful... Always was and is top of my wish list,
Project RD350LC. Finished YL2C.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

I read today an article describing the 3ma as a hand grenade and the 3xv was the best tar model. Sure to be contentious........
jools58
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by jools58 »

The 3ma is a bit temperamental for sure. I hear it is to do with the carbs and there could be an inherent design issue........

the 3XV is a tool. Pat will back me up I'm sure on this and suitably de restricted will show most NSR's & RGV's a clean pair of heels :lol:

Out of the box the cooking version is a pretty basic restricted Jap 250, but the bike is a lot deeper than that and its possible to squeeze another 20hp and keep reliability.
Its not as easy to de-restrict as say an RGV or NSR BUT it does not become a grenade like the previously mentioned, when you are getting those sort of numbers.

The TZ V twins share many parts from the TZR, slightly modified, but can be a bolt on upgrade relatively easily. TZ pistons and rings, carbs, pipes can all be fitted its much cheaper to do this and the parts are readily available.
You can even fit TZ cylinders and heads if you are so inclined.

The SP has the dry clutch and closer ratio 1st - 3rd gears, bigger carbs and the porting is better so it is easier to de-restrict than the cooking R or RS model.

The SUGO kits were the bolt on factory parts that turned these bikes into missiles, but finding these parts is becoming very difficult.

I'm just starting down the road with 3MA ownership so I'm green on this model but it is apparently much easier to de restrict than the 3XV.
Mine will be getting 36mm Lectron Powerjet carbs, as I have some spare, which may make set up a little easier.
One day lad all this will be yours............
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

pkay wrote:I read today an article describing the 3ma as a hand grenade and the 3xv was the best tar model. Sure to be contentious........
I don't think that's contentious at all, it's widely known that the 3MA wasn't a very 'robust' bike and as Jools mentions it seems Yamaha put them into production before fully ironing out a few of the bugs which were sorted in the later model 3MA's. The 3XV does have a very different reputation from the 3MA and is reported to be vastly superior in every way.

As great as the 3XV is though, I still wouldn't swap my 3MA for the purely superficial reason of how much I love the look of the 3MA, nothing else like it styling wise. Perhaps the MVX250 might match it for engine reputation though...
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

To be fair I have had my 3MA on the road for a few years now and thrash it every time out and it has never let me down or blown up. The wet clutch on the non SP version makes it perfect for scratching if you need to dip the clutch coming out of a low speed turn to get the revs up something the dry clutch SP can't do. You have to ride it hard and up the revs up but it is a great bike. The 3XV is also a great bike and the two are very different. I have the 3XV SP with the Sugo kit fitted and after sorting the jetting out that is a real pleasure to thrash. I would suggst getting both models and don't be put off by all the bad hype the 3MA gets and the chances of turning up somewhere and parking next to another one is slim.