RZ250 Question

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RZ250 Question

Post by pkay »

Did all 1984 RZ250's have a red frame? My rolling chassis has a black frame that from what I can tell is original - the chassis number suggests 250 but now I am unsure. Anybody got an easy hint to confirm whether its a 350 or 250?
Cheers
dumb
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: RZ250 Question

Post by JonW »

Frame / Engine number should tell you, whats the code? 29L? 34J?

Have a look at contemporary brochures :

http://rd350lc.net/pageWORLD-31K.htm

Looks like it could have been a black one?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I've never seen that black with red sides scheme in the flesh, wondering if they released them in any numbers like that. Looks bloody nice, if I get to repaint mine thats near top of my list.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:I've never seen that black with red sides scheme in the flesh, wondering if they released them in any numbers like that. Looks bloody nice, if I get to repaint mine thats near top of my list.
What, this one?

I think that was a pretty common colour for both the 250 and 350.

Frankly I don't think Yammy did a good job at the styling of any of the RD RZ's (or any Yammy model). Typically Japanese - safe, conservative.

Really strange in my mind - they spent a fortune in Racing in all forms and they never really directly made style connection between the road and the track. I think some home made specials do a better job.

Image :drool:
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Cool, thanks for that - I suppose unless you see the broachure you can't work out what colours it came in. A lot of websites only show one picture not the full range (understandably though). Normal transmission has been resumed!
Cheers

PK
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Ozzie, I take your point about never really visually linking the road and race bikes, but as road bikes they're among the best looking bikes around of their period. Of course I've been "one of the converted" for a long time.

Was the black with red sides common in Australia?
Fecked if I've ever seen one in the UK, always variations on the white theme (ignoring custom paint jobs).
I've been in Aus nearly five years now, but RZs dwindled away long before that.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:...... but as road bikes they're among the best looking bikes around of their period.
Maybe the best of a bad lot. I can't remember any of the Japanese bikes of the period having me reach for my cheque book based on looks. Maybe the GS1000S or the RG's. As I said "Typically Japanese - safe, conservative."
BRG1200 wrote:Was the black with red sides common in Australia?
I would guess it was about 50-50 although it might have been more like 70-30 with the nod going to the red/white.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

just found this thread whilst searching for a solo seat cowl for my rz Image been waiting to find a solo seat cowl to paint the back half of bike. the rims are from my other rz. the original were black. Image
This photo is the day i bought it, with red rims, rusty fuel tank, Imageand cut down seat. i love the red and black just need the 500 with the same paint job.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Our '83 250 has the black and red colour scheme... Black frame. I don't think they were rare at all, perhaps not as common as the red frame scheme.
Mick

Post by Mick »

pkay wrote:Cool, thanks for that - I suppose unless you see the broachure you can't work out what colours it came in. A lot of websites only show one picture not the full range (understandably though). Normal transmission has been resumed!
Cheers

PK
Hi, can anyone tell me what bike model the rear cowl on this RZ comes from?
Thanks.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Mick if you're talking about the pics of the black and red RZ in this topic, that rear cowl is the standard rear cowling/rear light setup used on all '80's RZ's (Anyone know if it was changed on later RZ's?) Or maybe you're talking about the white single seat version further up? Dunno about that one, prob aftermarket.
That R&B bike looks pretty original to me, although it has the wrong, later type exhaust system.
(Welcome to the forum BTW).
-Jools
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hi , Yes I was talking about the white single seat version. I cant find anything remotely close and really like the look.

Thanks for your feedback.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Mick, that will be an after market or custom job. It was not a standard item.
None of the RD/RZ's (except the removable cowl on the 500) had a single seat cowl.

http://www.classicracereplicas.com/prod ... rod_id=151

RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

There was a Yamaha factory single seat cowl, Japan only I think, and rarer than a virgin in Manchester on a friday night.
There was also a neat little tank box accessory, seen one of those go for a fortune.
I always liked the standard RZ as it is over here, the sound and the triangular rear light etc.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.