Group buy from Japan - RG500 / RZ500 ??

Looking for a Stroker?
DOC03

Group buy from Japan - RG500 / RZ500 ??

Post by DOC03 »

OK, so i had a thought and you can shoot me down if you want but I thought Id throw it out there and see if anyone else might be intetrested....

These bikes are getting harder to find and definitely more expensive. See the RG500 on Fleabay just now for $13k.

So I know some dealers (Scotts) etc, bring em in from Jap and USA etc and I figured that maybe if anyone was interested we could get together an order and do it ourselves.

I have the facilities for Import and Unload and distribution and was thinking of doing one or two myself but i checked it out and its more economical for a min of 10 bikes.

There are plenty of agencies that do the search on Jap auctions etc, submit the bikes for your consideration and even clean em up and fix em up to roadworthy status soooooo, is anyone interested in getting together and having a go ?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Group buy from Japan - RG500 / RZ500 ??

Post by hybrid »

What sort of $$ are we looking at?

I'd love to, but with a Wedding to save for and a Mustang to build... money is tight at the moment.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Well someone told me they bring a couple every now and then and they last brought in a RZV500 which they sold here for about $8 - 9000 and they make about $3 - 4 k on the sale.

Thats bringing in 2 or so bikes at a time that are in top condition so the freight and customs charges add up that way, so when you get 10 or more the costs are ametised considerably over the whole qty. If you can get a 20 ft container full it really starts to get cheaper.

I was hoping that I would land a lower K, good condition RZ for around $4k or cheaper.

I cant get actual costs until I make a serious enquiry and to do that I need to have a list of bikes to get. I could just get a price on say 5 RG500s and 5 Rz's in good nick etc, but it would make more sense if it was genuine, even just to find out.

The thing is you can also get other bikes too, Ive seen the NS400R here and obviously there are all the other standard Jpa bikes GSXR / CBR etc etc.

What do you think, should I just go ahead and get a price on say 10 different bikes and see what it looks like ??
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

I've done all this... its do-able... but maybe not as cheap as you might think.

A few points... you can't bring in anything newer than 89 vintage, unless its racing only (TZ or similar). You need to get an import license from the department of transport for each bike after you buy it and before you ship it, so you need somewhere to store the bikes as you buy them, which is not easy.

You won't fit more than 6 bikes in a 20' container unless you get very creative with the packing. That means you need to be there yourself, which adds to the cost.

I brought in four bikes and a few boxes of parts just over a year ago. At the time I couldn't find anyone to share the container so I did it all on my own.

Full container loads are definately the go... I think freight by itself was about $1,500 for a 20' container... but you'll add another couple grand for port charges, cartarge, quarantine inspection, GST, customs agent fees, etc... its a whole lot of bullshit. Be prepared for it!

Cheers, Markus.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Thanks for the advice.
I found a couple of Jap co's that do it and one in particular that had a racking system so they can fit 10 + bikes in the container so you can take advantage of amortising the costs.
They also store the bikes etc before they are ready and can handle all the paperwork so it sounds OK but I need to make serious enquiries.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Would be easier bringing in a container load of parts wouldnt it,obviously well chosen ones chambers,barrels etc.

Ant
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Geez, that'd be a lot of parts...
Link
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Link »

Id be in if you can sort the transport at a decent rate. I cant find anyone in jap who will help me find bikes and cant speak japanese which is a definate problem. I would really only want older two stroke big bores which would come in under the 25 year rule, another rg500 would be nice or a 400 but I could do with a yam 500 in my collection or nsr400 too. If you want to sort some bikes I will be happy to fund some of the costs. As far as parts, engines or chambers even would help with your costs I know Id grab a few and I am sure so would heaps of other people. Link.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

I have found 2 companies that can help with virtually everything, but so far the bikes Ive found have been a bit expensive - private auctions and all averaged about 400000yen, which would equate to about $6 to 6.5k landed for RZV500R in really good nick though. One only had 4800 km's

Funny thing though, an RD350LC was about the same price - maybe higher.
Of course that is all just small time net browsing, and I think i will do a proper enquiry wiht a company for 10 bikes and get their access to wholesale auctions - which i hope to be a bit better ?

I have to go China etc in the next few months so was thinking I might tag in a side trip to Japan to sort out details if things started to look a good possibility. That way might even be able to source certain bikes personally and make sure whoever we chose was the "right" people.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

OK so ive contacted a guy in Japan who is a registered vehicle dealer and has access to the wholesale auctions and provides full buying service, or you can go over and attend with them and personally choose on the day.

I have asked intitially for a potential order of
5 x RZV500 / RZ500
3 x RG500
2 x NSR400
Just to see what comes back.

I have priced the private stuff and it seems too expensive particularly if you do a single import etc.

I can get good freight rates on a 20ft container and have a mate who is customs broker, so i think it will really come down to what the wholesale price is and what the charges for the Jap end service is>...
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

DOC03 wrote:OK so ive contacted a guy in Japan who is a registered vehicle dealer and has access to the wholesale auctions and provides full buying service, or you can go over and attend with them and personally choose on the day.

I have asked intitially for a potential order of
5 x RZV500 / RZ500
3 x RG500
2 x NSR400
Just to see what comes back.

I have priced the private stuff and it seems too expensive particularly if you do a single import etc.

I can get good freight rates on a 20ft container and have a mate who is customs broker, so i think it will really come down to what the wholesale price is and what the charges for the Jap end service is>...
Sounds pretty good...

When I'm not broke anymore I'll be in touch ;-)

Cheers, Markus.
w3a51l
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by w3a51l »

Put me down for one RZV @ <$6.5K. Definite.
bobbyd
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by bobbyd »

Last edited by bobbyd on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Still waiting on reply from guy in Japan, although if no preply by next week will be talking with my customs guy here who clears a lot of cars etc and get him to suggest poss alternatives.

RZV under $6.5 seems very plausible particularly if we get full container.

Alex, I have def seen RG500's and RS125's no prob, havent seen a TZ750 yet though, but when I get the O/S guy talking will make further enquiry about this.
ash33
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ash33 »

I'd be interested in 3xv's, vj23's, 4DP onwards Tz's. I'd also be interested in the empty spaces being filled with parts for all "sort after" 500/750 2T's, like the KR, RG, RZ, TZ, etc.

Last time I checked shipping and customs duty at 5% (not luxury car duty) was averaging at 3000 USD on a 20' container.

My only concern with RZ/RG's there will be too many availiable once the container lands. So I'll stick to the 250's.

This is all pending the purchase prices in Japan of course.
I also am a registered importer/exporter.